Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when you drive from UK to Europe? Headlight? Self drive overtaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering has anyone has experience with the following charging companies and are they easy to use?
  1. Fastned
  2. Ionity

I presume the APPs will show you realtime stall-availability, in which case I'd be keeping an eye on that to make sure they are operational (i.e. not-bust, rather than not-occupied, although some idea of number of free stalls over a period of time as you approach would probably be prudent)

Then if you have an alternative you can consider it if they let you down.

download the app and add some cash to the app, arrive at the charger, plug in and relax

I've got two APPs where I "Added some cash", used those chargers for a specific trip, and have never got around to requesting a refund. Zero chance that I will use them again any time soon. Sceptical me considers that is part of their business model - if that wasn't the case they would be giving me some interest on my money that they are sitting on and having the benefit of ...

Upvote 0
Hi @WannabeOwner,

That is my fear of taking an alternative route, however, what I was planning to do was sign up for a 14-day trial of ABRP and use that app to tell me all the real-time information (stalls in use, vacant, operational or not). I've created a couple of the same "alternative" routes, using different charge points within my route so I have options if B is broken, then A or C charger is a backup. I've also only selected the chargers that say CCS 150kW, 250kW or 350kw.

Upvote 0
For the tolls - "Windscreen sticker" and drive through the automatic barriers

It’s small but pretty chunky vs a sticker. More like a tiny dash cam or something?

If it’s radio can you just leave it on the dashboard or is it quite fussy about pointing up at the sensors on the toll gates? I can’t rely on my wife being awake to hold in place so if they’re fussy I’ll just stick mine up

Upvote 0
Hello, what do you mean by a tag?
In France, it's called a 'badge'. You can get them for France or France/Spain or France/Spain/Portugal from here. This is Bip'nGo. Other badges are available.

Upvote 0
I am back from an epic road trip to Austria via France, Belgium, Germany and return via Germany and France. All my concerns about the lights, different routes, charging points, breakdown cover were for nought because it was so easy driving in Europe, using the TM3 car charger map to find the next superchargers. On one particular evening we pulled into a rest stop somewhere in Germany, there were loads of road works about and we just needed a break and I found a non tesla charger that did up to 250kW. No app needed, a few clicks on a browser, paid with PayPal and it was easy. Alerts telling me when it was done. Whenever we stopped at rest places or garages and there were always Tesla compatible chargers available, be it a lot fewer than Tesla had. It certainly opened up our alternative route process. I used ABRP once, found Google maps to be sufficient and it provided me with enough info on charger stations. Thus the trial was a bit of a waste. At no time during the epic 3400 mi journey did we feel range anxiety. Not once! As for the roads in above countries, what a pleasure to drive on. They are amazing, even the no toll roads. I was quite disappointed driving off the train at Folkstone and getting onto the bumpy, patchy, M20. It is quite embarrassing for our European visitors to see the state of our motorways. Our roads are simply terrible compared to France, Germany and Austria.

Happy to answer questions about road trip, now that I've experienced driving in Europe with a Tesla model 3.

Upvote 0
I am back from an epic road trip to Austria via France, Belgium, Germany and return via Germany and France. All my concerns about the lights, different routes, charging points, breakdown cover were for nought because it was so easy driving in Europe, using the TM3 car charger map to find the next superchargers. On one particular evening we pulled into a rest stop somewhere in Germany, there were loads of road works about and we just needed a break and I found a non tesla charger that did up to 250kW. No app needed, a few clicks on a browser, paid with PayPal and it was easy. Alerts telling me when it was done. Whenever we stopped at rest places or garages and there were always Tesla compatible chargers available, be it a lot fewer than Tesla had. It certainly opened up our alternative route process. I used ABRP once, found Google maps to be sufficient and it provided me with enough info on charger stations. Thus the trial was a bit of a waste. At no time during the epic 3400 mi journey did we feel range anxiety. Not once! As for the roads in above countries, what a pleasure to drive on. They are amazing, even the no toll roads. I was quite disappointed driving off the train at Folkstone and getting onto the bumpy, patchy, M20. It is quite embarrassing for our European visitors to see the state of our motorways. Our roads are simply terrible compared to France, Germany and Austria.

Happy to answer questions about road trip, now that I've experienced driving in Europe with a Tesla model 3.
Glad you had a good time!
So, did the headlights "mirror" themselves so that they flicked up on the right instead of the left?

Reactions: Toblerone
Upvote 0

I'm still in Bavaria and there are 2 11kw in our village, other hyperchargers are everywhere. I agree the roads over here make our roads look like crumbling ruins...

Last edited:
Reactions: lookatbowen
Upvote 0
I know that has always been the case, contrary to what the manual says. I live in hope that one day an auto adjustment will sneak in with an update.
The (model y) manual doesn’t say the headlights auto-adjust, rather that it’s just not necessary:
Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different

I echo your sentiment that we get full matrix functionality one day soon.

Reactions: Cardo
Upvote 0
I did quite a bit of nighttime driving in Germany on the motorways, however with the car being so low and the motorways all have this safety barrier in the middle (on the left), it really wasn't an issue. I might have blinded someone on a dark country road when the automatic lights didn't switch over quick enough, but that was the only time. I don't trust the automatic lights (High beam) in the UK either and rarely use the feature.

Upvote 0
The (model y) manual doesn’t say the headlights auto-adjust, rather that it’s just not necessary:
Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different

I echo your sentiment that we get full matrix functionality one day soon.
I think the sentence is the same in the Model 3 manual, but I always read it as if they would adjust. I assume that if you got pulled over (however unlikely) someone could take a dim view of the headlights 'not requiring adjustment' as the beam pattern would illuminate the opposing carriageway more than it should. But I agree with @lookatbowen that it isn't really a big deal.

Here's hoping for proper matrix functionality! Christmas 2022 update? I think that it is more likely now that they are permitted in USA.

Upvote 0
I’m not sure it’s more likely. In Tesla’s world it’s a job completed non- issue. Hard coded LH and RH implementations already done and working. After all, how many places in the world do Tesla’s swap to driving on the other side of the road (ignoring India). How many other car manufacturers do this. Why spend more dev time on it when they can invest it in adding Steam games- surely that’s more important than improving road safety ;).

Upvote 0
I did quite a bit of nighttime driving in Germany on the motorways, however with the car being so low and the motorways all have this safety barrier in the middle (on the left), it really wasn't an issue. I might have blinded someone on a dark country road when the automatic lights didn't switch over quick enough, but that was the only time. I don't trust the automatic lights (High beam) in the UK either and rarely use the feature.
We’re just back from a road trip to Switzerland and back in our new MY. The German and Swiss motorways had good barriers for screening oncoming drivers from light glare. However the French motorways we drove on had no screening, and we got flashed a lot by oncoming drivers, especially trucks where the drivers are sat high up. It’s maddening that Tesla hasn’t solved this when our 6 year old Skoda had this feature built in. I’m guessing Tesla engineers are too accustomed to the North American use case, where all the countries drive on the same side of the road, and it hasn’t occurred to them that this might be a problem on other continents.

Upvote 0
We’re just back from a road trip to Switzerland and back in our new MY. The German and Swiss motorways had good barriers for screening oncoming drivers from light glare. However the French motorways we drove on had no screening, and we got flashed a lot by oncoming drivers, especially trucks where the drivers are sat high up. It’s maddening that Tesla hasn’t solved this when our 6 year old Skoda had this feature built in. I’m guessing Tesla engineers are too accustomed to the North American use case, where all the countries drive on the same side of the road, and it hasn’t occurred to them that this might be a problem on other continents.
Are you sure your lights are adjusted correctly? They have been known to be set too high and need calibrating.

When driving in Spain with my 3 (and Spaniards are very quick to flash you, if they feel aggrieved in any way), I was watching where the headlight beams went and they generally went no further up than the oncoming car’s bonnet. This included the uptick. I’ve also had no issues with people flashing me here in the UK, whereas I’m aware some have reported being nagged by people they’ve been following.

If you’re finding you’re getting flashed a lot, it’s worth doing a calibrating whilst on a known level surface.

Reactions: Doudeau
Upvote 0
I presume the APPs will show you realtime stall-availability, in which case I'd be keeping an eye on that to make sure they are operational (i.e. not-bust, rather than not-occupied, although some idea of number of free stalls over a period of time as you approach would probably be prudent)

Then if you have an alternative you can consider it if they let you down.

I've got two APPs where I "Added some cash", used those chargers for a specific trip, and have never got around to requesting a refund. Zero chance that I will use them again any time soon. Sceptical me considers that is part of their business model - if that wasn't the case they would be giving me some interest on my money that they are sitting on and having the benefit of ...
you can use Bonnet at both Fastned and IONITY both at 41c. Fastned have canopies unlike most everyone else
IMG_3231.jpg

Reactions: NewbieT
Upvote 0