TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happens with Paint Protection Coating if car in accident?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GaryREM, May 25, 2017.

1. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Just about ready to get Modesta BC-04 applied to new Model S.

Was wondering how this would impact any future accident where the car needed body panels blended. Wouldn't this potentially increase the repair cost?

2. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

You should probably be asking this question to your Modesta dealer that's applying the coating. In the event of an accident where a body shop will repair and repaint, you will most likely need to take the car back to your Modesta dealer to re-apply the coating to the panels affected. Depending on their policy regarding this and their warranty. My best guess is the will charge you a nominal fee to recoat those panels

3. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Thanks for reply, but my concern is not that the Modesta needs to be reapplied to any repairs, but that it potentially impacts the actual repair cost.

It's easy to strip waxes and sealants from an area that is associated with a repair. Not possible with these coatings.

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Sorry your question was a bit vague,

Ask any body shop and they will tell you otherwise regarding any of these Paint coatings. It's not going to be a problem or extra work for them than any ordinary repair/blend job. Any standard polish will remove the coating

5. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

6. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

That article was not really a good article, I believe it was just a scare tactic. I have used several Nanocoatings for over 2 years with NO issues. To answer the OP, it is no big deal to sand a prep a Ceramic coated coated surface. So no extra cost.