TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What has become of the Suspension Problem on Model S thread?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pollux, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Pollux

Pollux Member

Not active any more. What happened?

Thanks,
    Alan

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think the mods locked it because it just descended into a troll-fest and snippiness. I really would like an answer from the op, @gpcordaro, though:

When at Tesla, before the failure, did Tesla tell you that the suspension needed some parts replaced?​

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I assume it was locked because it was a massive troll-fest that provided no useful content to the site.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

Who determines snippiness? I had one about an XKCD cartoon marked as such and I'm honestly confused how it was... but ok.

To stay on topic: it degraded into finger pointing and very unhelpful comments about motives, trolling, etc.

5. Pollux

Pollux Member

Hi, @bonnie,

I read that thread religiously - but wasn't willing to take an active role because (a) I don't know anything about suspensions and (b) lotta heat, less light. That said, I learned a lot from that thread about ball joints, degradation of same, implications or lack thereof for other failure modes, and so on. I learned about Keef Wivaneff (ick), and so on. So... a part of me misses the thread. Maybe there could be a more temperate thread for any other new info that emerges? Is it possible to have a thread for VIN-verified members only -- uh, wait, that's possible, right, a locked thread?

I also couldn't help but notice the spin cycle of what passes for press coverage interacting with that particular thread. Depressingly little real journalism that consisted primarily of repeating thread postings coupled with depressingly self-congratulatory postings about aforementioned coverage.

I think what many people forgot by the end was that the original tone of the thread was sympathetic towards the original poster and only sought more information about the incident.

As for your question: I believe from the previous thread that @gpcordaro had his prior service experience at a Sears auto service center, conducted by a Ranger who traveled there to meet him and his car. So "at Tesla" is not as simple as, "at a regular Tesla Service Center".

I wish I could answer your question rather than just nit-pick.

Thanks,
    Alan

6. bonnie

I just want to know if he was informed by Tesla service personnel prior to the breakdown. Careful reading of his responses leads me to believe he might have known - because he sidestepped that question a few times with misdirection.

It's very possibly coincidence or I'm unfairly reading too much into vague answers, but it wouldn't be the first time that someone has used the forum to get what they want. (And yes, I have some very specific examples where the person generated a great deal of sympathy and never divulged the complete story - because if they had, they would not have the forum's support for their plight.)

I hope that is not the case here. So a simple 'no, Tesla never informed me' or 'yes, they told me and I ignored it until the car broke down' would lend some clarity.

7. Pollux

Pollux Member

Aw, jeez... I'm such a bad business guy. This possibility hadn't occurred to me.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Best guess: Tyrion Lannister

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The TMC moderator(s) who are responsible for the forum the thread is located in.

10. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

No, it's not that you're a bad business guy. It's that you believe what people say, that they're being honest, that their motives are pure/honest/sincere. That is an admirable view to have of mankind, but it's not how people sometimes work. Having a finely tuned BS meter can be helpful.

11. bonnie

I just started looking a little more closely at the point I realized that how I (and I assume most of you) would have responded had an issue I posted about got picked up by a known anti-Tesla blogger with the subsequent fallout. I would have been horrified and would have tried to do a little damage control, out of fairness.

But that's not what happened here. No 'omg, they are clearly inflating what happened!!'. And then I wondered why someone, clearly an owner, would be so motivated to overstate the problem (not just a 'it happened to me' but morphed into 'people could die or have died'). Past experience on this forum says because they wanted Tesla to pay for something and Tesla refused.

If Neidermeyer were a real journalist, he would have looked into the history - but hey, he's not. We all knew that before. He just had a good hook to spew forth his uninformed sentiment once again. Great click bait, who cares if it's centered in fact or not. Haters gonna hate.

So yes, my bs meter went off. And is still pegged, given the subsequent posts on the subject. But I'd still like the question answered re if they were informed or not prior to the breakdown. I'm going with 'why yes, yes I was', since the question has been avoided - and so was the request made about posting a screen shot of the inspection paperwork.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. But I'd really like this clarified.

• Like x 7
  12. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

From the good Mr. Musk:
    A Grain of Salt

13. lklundin

lklundin Member

The problem with that statement is that it is not clear if this service was merely something like a tire change/rotation or actually part of the regularly scheduled maintenance. This is a very important distinction since the regularly scheduled maintenance is supposed to uncover a problem like a suspension that is about to fail. The OP did not respond to several calls for details on this, leaving the forum with doubt that the OP is keeping the vehicle properly maintained.

• Like x 1
  14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Tesla's owner manual clearly states that annual service cannot be performed by a Ranger and must be performed at a Tesla facility. Therefore, whatever this guy got at Sears from a Ranger was NOT an annual service. He probably had his tires rotated, never had a single annual service done (therefore no suspension inspection), and now he's bent out of shape because his own lack of proactive maintenance resulted in a problem that Tesla still agreed to pay for after the warranty.

No good deed goes unpunished it seems.

• Like x 1
  15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I think this is what happened. I am guessing Baltimore is his nearest actual SC, so that is over 3 hours away from his home. He never clearly answered the questions about how often the car had been serviced, and when he finally spoke up that the car had been in the shop recently, it took several more pokes before we found out it was a Sears and a Ranger.

But, I will say he may have bought the car when Tesla was advertising their Ranger service heavily and actually encouraging people in remote areas to buy the cars. Tesla didn't do those folks any favors, and then later pulled the rug out from under the ones who didn't buy the unlimited Ranger package when it existed.

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Tesla also knows exactly which road the failure occurred on, so can determine if owner was 'rockcrawling' or not. Three mph is too fast for many situations of course. I've been on some pretty outrageous roads south of Pittsburgh and these were all paved! Local Tesla owners should do a drive thru of that road to exorcise the demons.
    --

17. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

FYI: original post of the suspension thread was April 28, 2016. NHTSA complaint was April 28, 2016.

I recall later on the OP declared something about how he WILL post to NHTSA (with Lucille/Loosewheels urging). IIRC, the thread ended the first 20 posts on April 28, all subsequent posts were after NHTSA complaint had been filed.

18. thegruf

thegruf Member

well it seems that Mr gpcordaro has been banned, so I dont think we will be hearing much more from him, for a while at least.

agree very much that there was a fair bit being left unsaid, and increasingly it seemed to me that he had an agenda that went way beyond the incident itself. I for one won't miss him here.

• Like x 1
  19. msnow

msnow Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see him again in another "form".

• Like x 1
  20. thegruf

thegruf Member

don't tell me he'll keef coming back

• Funny x 4