TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What has changed between 2015 and now?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kami, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kami

Kami New Member

I'm considering purchasing a Model S. Currently there are a couple of 2015s available, but I'm not sure how much has changed since 2015, that wasn't available as a firmware upgrade.

1. Do all older models get the same software updates that new models get?
    2. Have there been any significant hardware changes in the last few years?

Thanks!

2. demundus

demundus Member

They SAY older models do, but we've seen cut off years and software magically not making it to older cars with no real explanation. Not as much has changed between 2015 and 2017 besides AP2 and Facelift front facia and led lights etc; AP2 and AP1 are different code bases so... only a matter of time before AP1 is left in the dust in terms of OTA updates and development.

All speculation and opinion however...

3. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. BrettS

BrettS Member

I bought a 2015 Model S in April and I’ve been very happy with it. The two really major differences are the updated front and autopilot 2 (AP2) hardware. AP2 was introduced toward the end of 2016 and includes more camera and potentially better sonar sensors. Tesla has promised that AP2 cars will eventually be able to drive themselves with the full self driving (FSD) option, but exactly when that will happen is very much open to debate. Optimistically it may be within a year or two, but I think it’s more likely at least 3-5 years out or maybe even more.

At this point the capabilities of autopilot in AP1 and AP2 cars is very similar, however, AP1 has likely reached it’s pinnacle and will probably not gain any significant new features. AP2 will continue to be developed and will continue to get new features until eventually it will be able to completely drive itself.

At the time I made my purchase I spent a lot of time going back and forth about whether to get an AP1 or AP2 car. I definitely want a car that will be able to drive itself, so I hesitated a little about purchasing an AP1 car knowing that FSD will not be possible on it. However, there was a significant price difference between AP1 and AP2 cars and given my opinion that FSD is probably still 3-5+ years out I eventually decided that it wasn’t worth spending considerably more for a feature that I wouldn’t see for years.

My plan is to continue to use and enjoy my 2015 AP1 car and when FSD actually exists or when there is a significant feature added to AP2 that I want, then at that time I will consider selling my existing car and upgrading to a 2 year old AP2 car. Theoretically by that point the price for a 2 year old AP2 car will be more reasonable.

So far, 6 months in, I don’t regret purchasing my 2015 car and every month when I make the payment I’m very happy with my decision.

• Like x 1
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I'm in the same boat as you but it is my thinking that AP2 will never function well and they will be a 2.5 or AP 3 that will leapfrog the current car's abilities. until that quantum leap in the functionality of the car happens I am quite pleased with my '15 with the old nose cone and AP1

6. gde_eu

gde_eu Member

I have both 2015 S and 2017 X.

Pretty similar overall but I must say that AP1 is still ahead. AP2 work properly but in tricky situation (work area, curvy road) AP1 still do significantly better.

I'll not see AP2 as a must have so far!

• Informative x 1
  7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We have a 2015 and love it. I'm very happy we bought it when we did and won't replace it till Tesla actually delivers better behavior.

• Like x 1