Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What has changed production wise from the end May shutdown.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Non owner here but hopefully some day. Avid follower of the EV movement and my wife and I both drive EV’s. A few of us EV enthusiasts were discussing the last shutdown in May, what changes have occurred and how it has effected production numbers. So, the three questions were

1. What actually got changed, updated or added? And where.
2. How did it affect production.
3. What is weekly, monthly production of the model 3, S, and X. One fellow thinks the combined number for those three is now north of 25000 per month.

I am noticing an uptick in EV shop talk at work. Two people have ordered Nissan Leafs in the last three weeks. Interesting times.

Reactions: streetskooler
1. Likely maintenance and improvements in production bottlenecks. They also added the third line.
2. It will allow production to increase past 3500 vehicles per week (goal of 5000-6000 by the end of this month)
3. Weekly Model 3 production was roughly 3500 vehicles per week. Tesla usually has a little over 2000 S/Xs produced per week.

Inside Tesla’s Model 3 Factory

Last edited:
The only thing we know is that that they installed an additional general assembly line, that is a new better/faster version, in about two weeks. The shutdown was probably related to finishing it and getting it hooked in to the rest of the lines.

Given that we know S&X is ~2,000/week, and that they were at ~500/day with two GA lines, that means that once line three gets going they should be at ~30k/month. On top of that Elon thinks that that GA lines 1&2 are capable of ~350/day, and that GA line 3 is capable of more they will soon be at ~40k/month.