TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What has worked the best for paint protection given our harsh conditions?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Tamar, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Tamar

Tamar Member

After months of dithering, we just put our deposit down on an inventory 85D that will be arriving in 2 weeks. We know we want to protect it from the get-go. There's so much competing information out there. Any words of wisdom from those who've used the different products and processes out there would be much appreciated!!

2. Phoster

Phoster Member

I got a full body wrap of Xpel Ultimate about a week after I got my Model S and it has held up extremely well. That was almost 2 years and 69,000 miles ago and the car still looks great. Negatives are cost (I paid $4k), finding an installer with experience working with Model S (I drove down to St. Louis), and only hand washing the car (which is not so fun in the winter). Xpel warns against washing with high pressure water so I have not taken it to an automatic car wash. It may be OK, but I haven't been willing to risk it.

I have not used other products so I cannot provide comparative advice. I am sure there is a thread here somewhere.

Congrats on placing you order. No doubt you will absolutely love it.

3. linkster

linkster Member

#3 linkster, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Congratulations on your incoming 85D. You may want to check out this thread pertaining to the strength of a film that was durable enough to withstand "keying" by some POS maggot in San Fran.

New Tesla Keyed and Vandalized

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

2 years 48K miles with full coverage Suntek. There are a couple of places where the film has been penetrated, but you have to look hard to see them. One was from a wing mirror being thrown up by the vehicle going in the other direction. damage is less than 1x4 mm. I'm pleased with the results, and I doubt if any film would do better.

5. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I've had my car since March 2013, and had it opticoated November, 2013. It still looks new after 31,000 miles. To be fair, it's garaged when not in use, including days when parked at my office.