Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What have I done...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the exponential increase in buying an equivalent to my 2016 MS85D, a new MS100D feels prohibitively expensive.

So, I've stuck a deposit down on next year's Audi e-tron.

Anyone else done/considering?

I too have a similar predicament but I just can’t get away from the free supercharging and also the speed and multiple locations.

Would be interested to hear how a Tesla driver gets on with a non Tesla ev (from a charging and long journey point of view).

Why not consider a 75D? I think the range difference to your 85D would be insignificant. If you are waiting until next year then it might get the long awaited interior refresh too. I lost interest in the Audi e-tron when they downgraded the power spec for the production models. But if you really fancy a change then I can see why you might consider the Audi. Did you not consider the Porsche Taycan too as base models are rumoured to be in the £60-70K bracket, not that I'm totally convinced they won't be £80K+ in reality, combined with a massive waiting list.

I think you should also consider Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. They were the 1st to launch the electric SUV and most of the concepts in eTron are from Outlander. It is almost half the price and it is a good car. I know it as I had it for 4 years before trading it for Model S.

I think you should also consider Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. They were the 1st to launch the electric SUV and most of the concepts in eTron are from Outlander. It is almost half the price and it is a good car. I know it as I had it for 4 years before trading it for Model S.

Sounds like a massive downgrade to me and I don't see what a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has in common with the new all-electric e-Tron? Maybe you are thinking of the current Audi PHEVs?

Just read that VW had discovered that their EV's are going to be much more expensive to produce than they originally thought. They are going to price them much higher as a result.

Before making a deposit, make sure you have a firm delivered price. Otherwise you may be in for a shock.

I've stuck a deposit down on next year's Audi e-tron

After being stitched up by VW on DieselGate and no compensation so stuck with Depreciation and Finance loss from an early-exit, or driving around in a VW and (as an Eco-warrior) wrongly giving the appearance that "I'm OK with this", I will never buy anything from the VW stable ever again.

Next time will VW lie about safety critical issues? Never dealing with Sharkleys again either; they have been repeatedly fined for misconduct, when its ingrained like that its hard to be sure its only related to one thing. I take a dim view of every company we deal with who banks with Sharkleys on the same grounds that "they obviously acquiesce with their Supplier's behaviour" ... although I might find I have no-one to trade with soon!!

But that said I'm interested in the next crop of EVs and how they appeal to the masses.

And plenty of people will never drive out of range - when range is 200 miles-ish

"Free" supercharging doesn't make any odds to me; I supercharge 12% of 27,000 miles (according to TeslaFi) and that's worth less than £100 p.a. to me, so not a deal breaker.

But having to charge at non-Tesla chargers definitely would be a deal breaker, until Rapid CCS is widespread and works as well as Superchargers - lots of stalls at sites so no wait, rarely a problem with them, just "rock up, plug in, walk away, check app, return when done" whereas majority of my 3rd party charging experiences have been dismal. 5 - 10 minutes to get connected by the time I have faffed around with APP or often had to phone company to get connection initiated, and then its slow. Even CHAdeMO is only 50% of Supercharger speed.

Out of curiosity I look at 3rd party Charger Posts when i walk past them, and fine it surprising the number that are showing "Error", and I already have multiple APPs in then hope of having the right one when I pitch up somewhere new ... nightmare!

If the next crop of EVs screw up it will be really bad news for take-up of EVs in general.

@Peteski tells me that latest i-Pace tests are showing good range, but initial test drives were well over 400 wH/mile. I have heard nothing from Jaguar acknowledging the problem, or that they have fixed it, so the issue only came to public attention by social media - worse sort of PR I reckon ...

And Jaguar are only making 20K units p.a. - not really serious. If they make a loss on those (I don't know that they do) then they can deliberately reduce price to force Tesla to do likewise, except that that impacts Tesla on 500,000 cars p.a. so opportunity for small producers who are early-to-market to attempt to scupper EVs in general.

I can't see any of these early-to-market competitors having enough battery supply to be able to ramp up ... Jaguar doesn't seem to have sold out of first year production yet, which surprises me. Strikes me there is lots to like about it (particularly for people not doing more than 200 miles per day); much more conventional cabin than Tesla, looks good off-road; handles better than Tesla ... so why not sold out already? Deliveries start in a few weeks. Conservative buyers maybe?

Personally there is no way that I would buy a Model-One from any new-to-EV manufacturer. Whilst as I understand it "EV is really simple compared to ICE" there must be an awful lot that is new to those companies.

Reactions: Peteski
@Peteski tells me that latest i-Pace tests are showing good range, but initial test drives were well over 400 wH/mile. I have heard nothing from Jaguar acknowledging the problem, or that they have fixed it, so the issue only came to public attention by social media - worse sort of PR I reckon ...

I'm not surprised short test drives are showing over 400 Wh/mile. I'm always well up in the mid 400s in my MX on short blasts. The iPace is smaller, but not that much lighter and aero efficiency is not amazing (although it has less frontal area than an MX to compensate). I'm not suggesting the iPace will have class leading range, but it should still be up around 250 miles on a long run. I think What Car? said in their recent test that the S 75D had better range than the iPace (but I don't remember the numbers). MS also has more luggage space, so probably a better bet for family trips, especially with the proven Supercharger network.

I'm with you on avoiding VAG products too. Luckily their VW range is all dull as dishwater and I'm a not a fan of joining the Audi clone brigade. Porsche is their only brand that interests me, but I would rather stay with Tesla if they continue to progress. They are still looking good with the Model 3 as a second car for us next year and I'm hoping for an all-new MX when we are due to change in 2022.

I guess I'm turning into a Tesla fanboy, but I can live with that and all the kids think they are the coolest cars on the planet! I overheard 2 school boys the other day talking about the MX and how he was trying to convince his dad to buy one. He's probably got an Audi/Merc/BMW/Jag now I'm guessing, lol.

Due to the exponential increase in buying an equivalent to my 2016 MS85D, a new MS100D feels prohibitively expensive.

So, I've stuck a deposit down on next year's Audi e-tron.

Anyone else done/considering?

I sat in an iPace at a music festival near me last weekend. I didn't get to drive it, so I can only comment on looks/interior.

I didn't like the looks.

I didn't like the interior.

The two young douche nozzles who were at the tent took pictures of my wife and I looking at the car without our permission, likely to use as marketing material. The whole experience was *ick*.

I sat in an iPace at a music festival near me last weekend. I didn't get to drive it, so I can only comment on looks/interior.

I didn't like the looks.

I didn't like the interior.

The two young douche nozzles who were at the tent took pictures of my wife and I looking at the car without our permission, likely to use as marketing material. The whole experience was *ick*.

Maybe that's why he/she put a deposit down on an Audi e-tron instead?

FWIW I wasn't overly impressed with sitting in the iPace either. Exterior looks are okay for me (didn't like the huge plastic filler flap or oversized front grille), but I was most disappointed with the interior. It felt cramped and fussy and I hated the glossy walnut door trims on the car I sat in. Also hated the displays, seemed backward compared to the cleaner more intuitive Tesla interface. But I can see the appeal to someone reluctant to move into the future of touchscreen displays and clean minimalist eco design, lol.

I'm not surprised short test drives are showing over 400 Wh/mile

The ones I have seen were either "full tank" test, or someone borrowing the car for a prolonged test drive - so not really the "short drive energy penalty" type. I have read of one person having an extended loan and getting both good range and no nags on AutoSteer (whereas everyone else I have read says that when it disengages it does so without any warning at all :( maybe the one good report was an Jaguar-Plant :) - but been so busy at work lately not had time to also read other sources.

The iPace is smaller, .., aero ... not amazing ... it should still be up around 250 miles on a long run. I think What Car? said in their recent test that the S 75D had better range than the iPace

iPace is 90 battery of course, instead of 75, and it has more efficient motors and is a bit light, so should be beating the MX75 easily, and be on a par, or better, than Ms - but I haven't seen anything yet where it has been (would be very pleased to hear that Jaguar have fixed whatever the Consumption problem was - I might well have missed an announcement)

I guess I'm turning into a Tesla fanboy

We're not alone ... I moan about lots of things - the Back office, the few niggles that have gone unfixed, the dreadful QA on new software releases ... but I can't imagine driving anything else, just at the present. Also in the the process of fitting PowerWalls at both Home and Work, Tesla branded chargers at work, and I'm evening thinking of buying the (overpriced) Tesla wireless Phone charger ...

Maybe that's why he/she put a deposit down on an Audi e-tron instead?

FWIW I wasn't overly impressed with sitting in the iPace either. Exterior looks are okay for me (didn't like the huge plastic filler flap or oversized front grille), but I was most disappointed with the interior. It felt cramped and fussy and I hated the glossy walnut door trims on the car I sat in. Also hated the displays, seemed backward compared to the cleaner more intuitive Tesla interface. But I can see the appeal to someone reluctant to move into the future of touchscreen displays and clean minimalist eco design, lol.

Whoops, you're right. Reading comprehension fail. I'll leave my post as a perspective on the iPace at least. I am unfamiliar with the eTron other than it's supposedly poor efficiency.

I wasn't overly impressed with sitting in the iPace

I don't reckon we are a good candidate though ;) ... we were already either convinced by, or have become convinced by, the minimalist-cabin in the Tesla and the HiTech screen, OTA, Gadgetry ... clever differentiation / marketing move. It will put some people off, but those who either liked it, or who became used to it, might very well want to stick with it.

I reckon all the Jaguar owners I know would be more happy with "familiar" buttons and knobs and wall-to-wall Walnut :)

But all that stuff is "what you like" and very subjective. I see folk talking about iPace in terms of "Looks better", "Drives better", "Handles better" which is a conversation to be had about any new car purchase, surely? but they don't mention the questions that I would have: IF I found a Rapid CCS charger how faster would it charge, when would it taper, how will the battery perform in the cold (and how well will the cabin heater work). All the rest, about looks and colour, is down to the individual.

I don't reckon we are a good candidate though ;) ... we were already either convinced by, or have become convinced by, the minimalist-cabin in the Tesla and the HiTech screen, OTA, Gadgetry ... clever differentiation / marketing move. It will put some people off, but those who either liked it, or who became used to it, might very well want to stick with it.

I reckon all the Jaguar owners I know would be more happy with "familiar" buttons and knobs and wall-to-wall Walnut :)

But all that stuff is "what you like" and very subjective. I see folk talking about iPace in terms of "Looks better", "Drives better", "Handles better" which is a conversation to be had about any new car purchase, surely? but they don't mention the questions that I would have: IF I found a Rapid CCS charger how faster would it charge, when would it taper, how will the battery perform in the cold (and how well will the cabin heater work). All the rest, about looks and colour, is down to the individual.

Totally agree, the iPace is clearly aimed at a more conservative audience who don't want to cope with too much change in one go - hence a very traditional interior and fairly conservative styling. All very subjective as to which is "better". I'm simply not a Jaguar fan in general, so not too surprising that I prefer the direction Tesla have taken. When I first saw the iPace I thought the exterior was pretty nice actually, although not the most practical for cabin space with its compressed roofline. But the interior left me cold and actually sitting in one confirmed how cramped and fussy it looked. The dash looks like a random patchwork quilt. Also couldn't see what all the fuss was about with quality? Is that just brand expectation or was I simply not appreciating it? To me it was fairly average with some pretty cheap looking shiny bits here and there. Going back to my MX was no step down for me, lol.

@themetz - do you feel you need to change now? Maybe your mileage is high or other reasons.

I have an early 2016 MS90D and I had bought it think I'll keep for quite a few years, 30 months on and I haven't changed that thought, even with the original nosecone!

Anyhow, how have you found the trade in value to be for the 85D? Looking at listings, I feel my 90D is holding up well in asking price [due to fall in dollar and price rises of the new cars, which you are saying].

Regards,

Tony