TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What height are you riding in the MX

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Socalcommuter, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Socalcommuter

Socalcommuter Member

Since buying my car and reading the forums I have left my car ride at standard. Although I'm scared of premature tire wear, it would be nice to have a little better handling on the turns and ramp curves.

Just curious is other MX drivers are being conservative as well.

2. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Standard, and "lower at faster speeds" = "never" To be fair...I didn't want SAS, but I had no choice. I have read "anything other than standard causes premature tire wear".

• Helpful x 1
  3. McManX

McManX Member

Standard and drop to low at 70mph

4. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

5. DonD

DonD Member

My Model X suspension is set to Standard, and changes to Low at 50mph. With 10,000 miles so far on the original equipment tires the tread depth still measures evenly inside to outside, and is consistent on all four tires. I would estimate perhaps 25% of my mileage is driven at 50mph or greater.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Ormond

Ormond Member

I'm set at standard and drop at 70 mph. I raise up for some driveways. I like to drop to extra low for washing the windshield.

• Like x 1
  7. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

20" Conti-Silents. 15,000 miles, 7/32 left on all 4 - even wear. Standard around town. Low set to 55 mph.

• Like x 1
  8. bushburner

bushburner Member

standard, my wife drives it and i'm scared she's going to scrape it.

9. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    For those who set it to LOW at a certain speed, it would be nice to know what percentage of your miles driven are at those speeds.

If I set mine to low at 60mph but do mostly city driving, then I'm not going to see much inner tread wear compared to someone with the same settings who does mostly highway driving.

10. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Standard, and drop to Low at 75 mph. I'm in low probably less than 5 % of my driving.
    I noticed that after triggering Low at 75 mph, it won't rise to Standard until I decelerate below 45 mph.

• Informative x 1
  11. bushburner

bushburner Member

I'm not worried about tire wear as much as ride quality and suspension wear.

12. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

That was my setting until this last service visit when they said there was no fix in sight for the front vibration on acceleration (yet) and they recommended Low. There are places, like my driveway, that automatically go High. Also some roads around here are too lumpy for Low so now I just bump up manually as needed.
    Contis wore well at that original setting, the Michelins had very asymmetric and heavy Right rear inner wear. We'll see how the winter Pirellis fare with mostly Low.

13. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

There's a thread on that already and I believe setting to low will cause some premature wear.
    Rear Tire Wear on XP90D

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Same here, but recently switched to Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter.

15. Socalcommuter

Socalcommuter Member

Changed my setting today to low over 60 mph. Maybe I'm imagining but the ride feels more sporty and nice. I like it. I pray I won't have worn treads though.

16. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I think the tire wear on low settings is accentuated with lower profile tires (22" wheels vs 20"). My P85D with 21" wheels was brutal when on low setting eating through tires (wearing on the inner portion to the bead) in no time.

The 20's are likely more forgiving on low settings.

17. Socalcommuter

Socalcommuter Member

Damn. I have 22s

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Just to be clear, the original poster in that thread had theirs set at "Very Low" not "Low".

That being said I keep mine in LOW 100% of the time. I don't have many miles so far (only about 6000) and Tesla swapped out my original rear tires due to not being able to get them to balance correctly and then I put winter wheels and tires on in December. Long story short, I'm not seeing any excessive tire wear but that's not surprising as I just don't have many miles on ONE set of tires.

I am aware that my driving it in LOW all the time may cause wear but I'm OK with that.

Cheers!

• Like x 3
  19. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

So you have to manually change it to Low every time you get in the car? It became so onerous to me that I just accepted "standard" unless I wanted to look like a gangsta! ;)

20. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

No, you can set the “speed” to auto-lower to Always (but that’s Low, not Very Low"