Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What height are you riding in the MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since buying my car and reading the forums I have left my car ride at standard. Although I'm scared of premature tire wear, it would be nice to have a little better handling on the turns and ramp curves.

Just curious is other MX drivers are being conservative as well.

My Model X suspension is set to Standard, and changes to Low at 50mph. With 10,000 miles so far on the original equipment tires the tread depth still measures evenly inside to outside, and is consistent on all four tires. I would estimate perhaps 25% of my mileage is driven at 50mph or greater.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4 and JayBeeBee
For those who set it to LOW at a certain speed, it would be nice to know what percentage of your miles driven are at those speeds.

If I set mine to low at 60mph but do mostly city driving, then I'm not going to see much inner tread wear compared to someone with the same settings who does mostly highway driving.

Standard and drop to low at 70mph
That was my setting until this last service visit when they said there was no fix in sight for the front vibration on acceleration (yet) and they recommended Low. There are places, like my driveway, that automatically go High. Also some roads around here are too lumpy for Low so now I just bump up manually as needed.
Contis wore well at that original setting, the Michelins had very asymmetric and heavy Right rear inner wear. We'll see how the winter Pirellis fare with mostly Low.

Since buying my car and reading the forums I have left my car ride at standard. Although I'm scared of premature tire wear, it would be nice to have a little better handling on the turns and ramp curves.

Just curious is other MX drivers are being conservative as well.
There's a thread on that already and I believe setting to low will cause some premature wear.
Rear Tire Wear on XP90D

There's a thread on that already and I believe setting to low will cause some premature wear.
Rear Tire Wear on XP90D

I think the tire wear on low settings is accentuated with lower profile tires (22" wheels vs 20"). My P85D with 21" wheels was brutal when on low setting eating through tires (wearing on the inner portion to the bead) in no time.

The 20's are likely more forgiving on low settings.
Just to be clear, the original poster in that thread had theirs set at "Very Low" not "Low".

That being said I keep mine in LOW 100% of the time. I don't have many miles so far (only about 6000) and Tesla swapped out my original rear tires due to not being able to get them to balance correctly and then I put winter wheels and tires on in December. Long story short, I'm not seeing any excessive tire wear but that's not surprising as I just don't have many miles on ONE set of tires.

I am aware that my driving it in LOW all the time may cause wear but I'm OK with that.

Cheers!