Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What home heatpump would you recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
Just had someone who came for a quotation for one of my rental properties today and they are installing Daikin Japanese made heatpumps with 12 years warranty offered by the manufacturer. He said they are more expansive than the rest but have been in business for over 80 years and the 12 years manufacturer warranty might be an advantage if the installer changes or get purchased because of bankruptcy because the manufacturer would honour the warranty directly.

I never has any heatpumps installed yet and what wondering if anyone here has any previous good experience with this brand or other ones in the US that you would recommend being of great quality and affordable?

thanks for your help

Reactions: play150
Just had someone who came for a quotation for one of my rental properties today and they are installing Daikin Japanese made heatpumps with 12 years warranty offered by the manufacturer. He said they are more expansive than the rest but have been in business for over 80 years and the 12 years manufacturer warranty might be an advantage if the installer changes or get purchased because of bankruptcy because the manufacturer would honour the warranty directly.

I never has any heatpumps installed yet and what wondering if anyone here has any previous good experience with this brand or other ones in the US that you would recommend being of great quality and affordable?

thanks for your help

I've had good luck with my LG but I think they're all very similar these days. Just make sure it has good cold weather performance (works to 0F) and has a VFD.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
What did you end up doing?

I am also thinking of retiring my old AC from the 80s with its gas furnace single zone forced air system with a more efficient AC and ideally heatpump only or dual fuel system if that is what's needed for the few days we get 27-32F outside. We have plenty of kWh left from our 10kW solar system in the net-metering year currently, but do draw more power than the power walls can store when it gets to 110F outside.

Would I need a dual fuel system in Northern California or would pure heat pump be good enough to keep the home above 73F in the winter?

Also, I am sensitive to noise, and kind of hate our current old Trane AC from the 80's for that reason, makes a heck of a ruckus outside next to the house. Are there heat pumps designed with efficiency and sound emissions in mind?

Last edited:
You should be fine with just a heat pump. Dual fuel systems are really more for areas that regularly see ~0F. Even 20F is nothing for modern heat pumps.
I was reading that the gas furnace can output about 20F more than the heat pump, and ideal temperature for the house to be set to would be 68F. That would be a total no-go for my heat-loving wife. Is the heat pump going to be able to keep the house at a toasty 75F when it gets close to 20F outside? And what amount of kW power draw do we expect for that?

I am looking at the Daikin DZ17VSA601BA 5 Ton heat pump system to replace my 4 ton air conditioning and the gas furnace.

I was reading that the gas furnace can output about 20F more than the heat pump, and ideal temperature for the house to be set to would be 68F. That would be a total no-go for my heat-loving wife. Is the heat pump going to be able to keep the house at a toasty 75F when it gets close to 20F outside? And what amount of kW power draw do we expect for that?

I am looking at the Daikin DZ17VSA601BA 5 Ton heat pump system to replace my 4 ton air conditioning and the gas furnace.

Yes. A properly sized heat pump can easily keep your house at 80F if it's 10F outside. The kW draw depends on the size of the heat pump. But even at 10F you can expect to get 2 units of heat per unit of energy vs only 1 with resistance or ~0.9 with gas.

• Love
Reactions: Skryll
Yes. A properly sized heat pump can easily keep your house at 80F if it's 10F outside. The kW draw depends on the size of the heat pump. But even at 10F you can expect to get 2 units of heat per unit of energy vs only 1 with resistance or ~0.9 with gas.
What cost should I ballpark wise expect when replacing an old AC/gas furnace that used the old refrigerant that we can't use any more, on a 2 story 2500 sqft home?

What cost should I ballpark wise expect when replacing an old AC/gas furnace that used the old refrigerant that we can't use any more, on a 2 story 2500 sqft home?

I got a heat pump installed at my sisters house for ~$15k a few years ago. I would say ~$15k would probably be a 'good' deal but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few quotes in the ~$25k range these days. The equipment costs ~$5k...

I got a heat pump installed at my sisters house for ~$15k a few years ago. I would say ~$15k would probably be a 'good' deal but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few quotes in the ~$25k range these days. The equipment costs ~$5k...
Where do I find pricing online for DZ17VSA601BA heat pump and DV60FECD14 air handler unit. I found one for the heat pump which was $10k itself

You need to make sure you’re sizing your heat pump properly. How many BTU/hr is your existing gas furnace? Keep in mind 5 tons is 60,000 BTU/hr.
The current AC is a 4 ton system, I read that the heat pump system should be a ton higher than existing AC. Also we have one room that is a bit less efficiently cooled/heated than the rest, and so we were thinking of providing one more duct outlet to that room.

The current AC is a 4 ton system, I read that the heat pump system should be a ton higher than existing AC. Also we have one room that is a bit less efficiently cooled/heated than the rest, and so we were thinking of providing one more duct outlet to that room.

It should be sized for the heating load, which is typically higher than the air conditioning load unless you’re in a really warm climate. In Northern California, they might be pretty close, but I figured I’d mention it.

Reactions: nwdiver and Skryll