Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I learned on my Second Road Trip - Francis Lau

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As such, I'm wondering if, after you select your destination on the center touchscreen, and nav is running in the instrument cluster, can you shut down the map on the center screen? I may want to use nav, but have, say, power display and rear camera or audio controls on the center screen.

Yes of course. You can switch the touchscreen to whatever applications you want. The nav screen doesn't have to be visible.

Curious to know why the 3G cuts out when you cross the border. My understanding from some of the early Canadian owners is that their cars are actually roaming on a US AT&T network in Canada. Cell phones roam seamlessly back and forth. My current OnStar system (also cellular based) works seamlessly back and forth. I can only hope this is an early glitch in how Tesla set up their deals with the carriers and that it will be sorted out.
I confirm that our Canadian delivered car operates on 3G seamlessly across into the US. I suspect that Tesla did an asymmetric deal with AT&T. That is, since there are relatively few Canadian cars, it is not that expensive for them to turn on roaming for those cars so they work in Canada (roaming, actually, at "home" in Canada, native AT&T when in US). But the majority of cars, based in the US, do not have roaming privileges, so are out of luck in Canada.

In this case, it pays to be the little guy. :wink:
FWIW, I have no Tesla but in the past, when I was last living in WA, I went to Vancouver BC 2x. Once I had both my AT&T iPhone 3G and a T-Mobile (now old) Android phone. A few miles past the border, one will lose AT&T signal completely and end up roaming (IIRC) onto Rogers. One will receive a free text message that roaming voice rate is $0.79/min and data is $15.36/megabyte!

So... if Tesla had no agreement and they were being charged the above crazy rate, it'd quickly become VERY expensive.

I definitely turn off data roaming on my phones and usually put them in airplane mode when I went to Canada (not often) or internationally. Nobody needs to reach me that badly.

(In Europe, the AT&T roaming text message says the rates $1.29/min or $19.97/megabyte!)