Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I sent to Dublin Tesla on May 8 Asking for a replacement / collateral exchange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While holeydonut certainly had a terrible experience, his is the exception. My 2022 refresh has been flawless. I had a 2018 X, which IMO needed far too much service. The trade-in value I got at the time (jun-22) was astonishing. I have had absolutely zero reasons to open a service ticket on my 2022, at all. My only complaint is, it gets dirty when I drive it.

A standard problem in these cases of horrible service conjoined with horrible assembly quality and poor quality control is the question of how frequent these issues are. I wish we had more data on this. Personally we've had nothing but great service on our two performance model 3s, but they've all been relatively minor issues with the most serious one being the replacement of a computer board early on in the life of my wife's car. Obviously anecdotes either positive or negative don't prove anything but does anybody know any way of getting data about lemons because surely holy Donuts car was a lemon. Tesla of course is famously tight lipped about all this - part of what's wrong with their corporate culture which often times appears to be aimed at damage control and minimization instead of actually admitting that they f***** up. Additionally of course there is the business of both confirmation and Reporting bias. People tend to report dismal experiences more than good to great ones.

For whatever it's worth, we had a dismal experience around Tesla solar repair, including how Tesla would not provide us with any written statement about the damage to our system from an incompetent 'certified' installer. Once again they retrenched, minimized, and said "not our problem." So there's clearly something wrong with the corporate culture on the service side. Their responses seem designed from the standpoint of some attorneys misguided concept of what's necessary to minimize liability. Far different from actually fixing the problem.

I am just now seeing this as our X has been in service for over 30 days (not consecutively).

Isn't water staying in the rear hatch normal on all X's? How did you get them to agree that that was an actual issue?

Yeah the car was bought back by Tesla and they advised me never to buy Tesla again.

Regarding your question - the rear hatch wasn't just clogged, there was a portion of the drain section that was damaged by flux or weld spatter. It caused the ecoat to not adhere and Ultra Red paint to get corrupted in a channel that was meant to drain water. The corruption ended up clogging the drain hole. So yeah, brand new and never even saw rain (or a hose/wash since Tesla didn't even prep/clean the car for delivery).

1701394996532.png

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Yeah the car was bought back by Tesla and they advised me never to buy Tesla again.

Regarding your question - the rear hatch wasn't just clogged, there was a portion of the drain section that was damaged by flux or weld spatter. It caused the ecoat to not adhere and Ultra Red paint to get corrupted in a channel that was meant to drain water. The corruption ended up clogging the drain hole. So yeah, brand new and never even saw rain (or a hose/wash since Tesla didn't even prep/clean the car for delivery).

View attachment 995258

Ahh I see, not under the spoiler.

It's strange that they told you to never buy a Tesla again haha.

Tesla doesn't wash cars prior to delivery. They use waterless wash IIRC.

LOL they don't even do that anymore. My X came with dirt everywhere. Outside, inside, oily smudges all over the screen, etc. My prior Teslas were delivered indoors immaculately detailed, and one even came with a giant red bow on top (a la Lexus). Things are nothing like they used to be.

Because our family actually wants a car made by a manufacturer that thinks it’s not good to sell a car that shuts down while being driven when the car has less than 500 miles on the odometer. And our family wants a car that wasn’t rushed through production where someone at the factory would repair a (edit changed mm to cm) 3cm area of damage instead of not giving a crap.

Tesla reps said neither of those things are items they think are big deals since that’s what you get when you buy a Tesla. Stalling and rushed manufacturing.

Btw my car was filthy when delivered. Greasy windows, dirt and everywhere , and trash discarded inside.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot