Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What ICE would you preserve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Thought experiment time. What ICE would you buy to preserve as peak ICE? Something to have, care for, drive occasionally using £20/L fuel once a quarter and show to future generations?

For me, Jag F-Type. Sooo love those, most beautiful car ever produced.

This one.

177023775_269098088265719_574385602411701286_n.jpg

Thought experiment time. What ICE would you buy to preserve as peak ICE? Something to have, care for, drive occasionally using £20/L fuel once a quarter and show to future generations?

For me, Jag F-Type. Sooo love those, most beautiful car ever produced.

I'm from e-type era and still think it has better lines. I do agree that the f-type has one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in but neither car was designed for 'people of proper height' and I’m too coiled up in one for any suggestion of safety or any chance of closing the lid.

@Gweilo - beauty is in the eye of the beholder - horrid looking and reminds me of a plastic gym shoe, sorry.

My own '93 200SX is still on the road but probably not for much longer as hard to justify throwing money at it with now showing signs of tin worm and needs new coil overs and generally tired. A full quality rebuild would be circa £35K

I’d keep my supercharged Mk1 MX5. Sadly I’ve just decided to sell it and replace it with the most fun, small EV I can find as I just don’t like putting petrol in it any more. I’ve never had more fun in a semi-practical car than I have in this. The epitome of the accessible analogue sports car in my eyes. Can you tell I’m feeling conflicted about it?

I think it will depend on whether you are actually allowed to drive on the road in an ICE car or that you’ll only be allowed on track, which is a distinct possibility if cars become autonomous. If you were limited to track only then the something track focused like a Porsche GT3RS, Aerial Atom or pretty much any caterham would be a shout. If you are allowed on the road then I think I’d either go for something like a recent more road oriented Porsche or a Lotus Elise (quite like Aston Martin‘s but they don’t drive as well). From a style point of view the it’s hard to beat the Jaguar e-type but if you’ve ever actually driven one you’ll know it’s cramped, noisy (not in a good way) and by modern standards not that fast, though as it has rubbish brakes, that’s probably a good thing. Ultimately it’s very pretty but very old car with cars improving loads in the last 60 years (reliabilty, safety, comfort, ride and handling to name just a few).

Bit of a mouthful but the 911 GT2 RS MR is really quite special and probably the peak of 911 evolution (until the next one, but that will be a hybrid), if I had the money (and talent) it would be nice to pop one around the ‘ring every now and again.

I had to think long and hard about whether to drain and shrink wrap this, but it was SORN'd for 12 months and I could count on my fingers the number of times it had been out in the two years before that, so it had to go. Unfortunately cars still cost money even if you're just preserving them:
XK.png