Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if APPLE would join Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know Doug was such a fan of the 3 finger salute. ;)
Been doing that since my IBM XT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiH-iA9EO_Q

As I understand it, the Fisker reboot involves popping the hood, disconnecting a particular cable, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting the cable, and trying to turn the car on again. They probably should have designed in a shortcut.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Apple and Tesla were to join forces, I would probably cancel my Model X reservation. I disagree with most of Apple's policies, and they would probably mess up Tesla too.

Tesla should stay independent, develop their own solutions where that is the best solution, and cooperate with other companies where that is the best solution. If Tesla gets locked into one way to do things, at some point they won't be able to meet consumer expectations. Better to stand on the sidelines and work with the most successful companies on an issue by issue basis.

By the way, during Apple's Keynote presentation yesterday, Phil Schiller compared the iPad 3's graphics chip to the NVidia Tegra 3, among others. (Tesla's touchscreen uses Tegra3). iPad 3's chip is 4x faster. Here we go with the touchscreen already feeling outdated!

It was inevitable...just unfortunate that it happened before first deliveries!

By the way, during Apple's Keynote presentation yesterday, Phil Schiller compared the iPad 3's graphics chip to the NVidia Tegra 3, among others. (Tesla's touchscreen uses Tegra3). iPad 3's chip is 4x faster. Here we go with the touchscreen already feeling outdated!

Yep.

If You look at this video:
First Ride In The Tesla Model X [VIDEO] - Translogic

as for me there´s no doubt that the "joint forces" of those 2 companies would be a driving force for the whole auto industry, especially the German one.
Apple needs the ongoing growth, and the only field is IMHO auto industry, not TV sets :)
What Apple does is superb product design and what we see on the displays is ERGONOMICS and simplicity.

What I see on the Tesla dashboard reminds me of Corel Draw anno 1999.
The icons are unbeliveably ugly, the controls for the AC sections are a squeezed mess on the bottom screen,
and the glossy screen is the icing on the cake to destroy the last remainders.
This is apart from the design and the motor the "heart" of the company which the user witnesses.

The promise given on the exterior design, the stores, the whole brand experience, gets watered down by such a cheap ass user interface.
Furthermore, I´m not shure if the NHTSA will wave this thru, let alone the hi end customer
having to swallow this pill.

I´m not against a screen dashboard, not at all, but when You enter this field You have to play it serene, grown up and masterfully.
Not like unstylish tecchie playground which has absolutely nothing to do with the brand.People witness a picture in front of them, and their reception is trained
by the finest handcraft that´s put there.Magazines, luxury goods,furniture,photography.
Heck even Windows8 looks good now after all those years...
Think about Jonathan Ive and his team design this space.
It won´t end up as a second iPad, but will sport all the elegance of a modest and most of all coherent user experience.

Apple joining Tesla would be a win win, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

This is OT, but I think that 4x claim is a classic case of Apple exaggerating specs.

In the same chart with the 4x claim, it says the iPad 2 is 2x faster than the Tegra 3. But even in benchmarks run with software not optimized for the Tegra 3, the Tegra 3 CPU performed better than the iPad2 in benchmark tests:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Prime-Preview/?page=6
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/2

The Tegra 3 did score worse in the GPU tests, but I not enough to claim 2x (and the gap narrows significantly during onscreen tests).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/3

Once updated benchmarks come out, I don't think the gap will be that big.

My bet is he didn't think much of Tesla, or he would have been a Model S reservation holder and showed up at last October's reveal.
Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

He passed away 3 days after the event so I'm betting he wasn't up to the task. While I don't think we'll ever know for sure, I can't imagine another car being closer to the design asthetic Apple exudes.