Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if I move? What's my spot priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in DFW now but may move to Colorado within the next year. Do you think I'll get bumped up the line since it's closer to the west coast?

Also, what if I do move to colorado and don't get bumped up...I stay the same....will I have to go back to Texas and pick up the car?

Taxes in texas or Colorado if i moved to Colorado?

• Informative
Reactions: SuperOmega
I am also moving before my 3 comes most likely. From California to DFW.

As far as delivery location and taxes, I am sure you will be able to call Tesla once you move and set your delivery location as Colorado and pay taxes according to that. (Unless it's advantageous to you tax-wise to keep delivery in TX and make a trip to get the car)

I have zero idea how that affects priority in line. It will probably heavily depend on what point we are in the process when we move. Anytime before the car is built, and I assume I get thrown into the Midwest bucket from the California bucket. But what if my car is already in production? Do they re-allocate my car to a different California person, and build me a car later when they are doing TX shipments? That's highly possible. Or... do I get to be the first North Texas Model 3 on the road since I was originally a CA car (I would be sorely tempted to wait until the very last minute to inform them of my address change just to see if this would happen ;) )

Unfortunately, the only way we will find out is by going through the process. i doubt Tesla will have clarity on these types of issues. Be prepared for any moves and changes to affect your delivery date, possibly negatively.

I have zero idea how that affects priority in line. It will probably heavily depend on what point we are in the process when we move. Anytime before the car is built, and I assume I get thrown into the Midwest bucket from the California bucket. But what if my car is already in production? Do they re-allocate my car to a different California person, and build me a car later when they are doing TX shipments? That's highly possible. Or... do I get to be the first North Texas Model 3 on the road since I was originally a CA car (I would be sorely tempted to wait until the very last minute to inform them of my address change just to see if this would happen ;) )

When your car goes into production the VIN is assigned to you, so it is unlikely they would give it to someone else. And even to do that they would have to have specified the exact same options. (Which might be possible if they keep things in packages, but with a bunch of different options/colors that becomes less likely.)

You don't want to pay tax in Texas because most likely Colorado will hit you again. I have experience with a move from Cali to Texas. My wife's car was 1 year old and it cost a ton to register it in Texas. I think I was taxed again because it was over $1200 dollars on a Honda CRV in 2005. I also ordered a 2005 Mustang GT in Cali and then realized we were moving. The dealership in Cali (my dad worked there) had Ford change the delivery to a Texas dealer where they prepped it. I then took the certificate of manufacture (usually you don't see this but the dealer does) and I paid the taxes and registration which was slightly more than the CRV but it was also a more expensive car.

All this to say that most states double tax you when you register an out of state car. I bet though Tesla might just handle it for you since they sell direct. It is more complicated with dealers.