Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if I "total" my Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's November 2012.

I've had my Tesla for 3 months and it got totaled.

How is this managed? You'd want a replacement. With the wait list, how would you ever get one in a timely fashion? I guess this is a potential problem for people who will be getting the Model S as a replacement vehicle.

Would you wait?

I guess it would depend on how happy you were with the three months prior that you were driving it. If you love the car, you'll wait. If you don't, you'll replace it with something else.

Note that Roadster owners have waited months for repairs, when body damage is involved. I think that probably answers your question. :)

I was thinking about this earlier when I saw a Liberty Mutual commercial claiming to give you a car one model year newer if you total yours. I just pictured myself driving around in a mangled S because I couldn't bear to get into anything else :(

I think OP's imaginary scenario is more about what happens if an early reservation holder damages his/her car beyond repair and is looking for a new one. Valid question I think. Would TM let him get in on the next batch of production cars, or send him to "the end of the line" with a brand new reservation number and wait it out until next summer or so?

I think OP's imaginary scenario is more about what happens if an early reservation holder damages his/her car beyond repair and is looking for a new one. Valid question I think. Would TM let him get in on the next batch of production cars, or send him to "the end of the line" with a brand new reservation number and wait it out until next summer or so?

Exactly.

If the wait were a few weeks, or even a couple of months, I could wait it out for a new Model S. I think early reservation holders might have to wait 6-12 months in this scenario. For most people, that means buying another car...

Last edited:
How would you feel if you were bumped to a later slot because an early reservation holder totaled their car and wanted a replacement? I'm sure Tesla will do what they can to help their customers, like look for an available slot where let go by a reservation holder - but as a matter of policy, I'd be surprised if they'd do anything more than that.

Now you might be able to convince your insurance company to pay a premium and buy someone's car ...

That wouldn't bother me at all. It's just one slot at a point where the factory is turning out dozens a day. The impact on people in reservation line would be negligible.
That's the real metric. In a few months the factory must be cranking out 50-100/day.

The larger problem comes with Signature cars; I don't think those are easily replaced. You'll hafta take the terrible check from the insurance company and buy something else.

That wouldn't bother me at all. It's just one slot at a point where the factory is turning out dozens a day. The impact on people in reservation line would be negligible.

+1 on that. It's not like the person is trying to score an extra car. An early reservation holder has supported the company. In that scenario I would feel for the poor guy/gal and let that person cut in front of me. Doesn't GeorgeB call us a "Tesla family" after all?

... I'm sure Tesla will do what they can to help their customers, like look for an available slot where let go by a reservation holder - but as a matter of policy, I'd be surprised if they'd do anything more than that. ...

Pretty sure that's what happened when Ian totaled his Roadster. A slot opened up when someone canceled and it was his black color so they made it happen. Tesla did not have to sell a car that someone had customized and Ian did not have to wait beyond getting the Insurance payment.

If that could not happen I'd say you would be at the back of the line. Bad luck but be grateful the car saved your life so you can get another.

Having your Model S totaled, my opinion is that you find yourself in the same situation as everybody else considering one. With some differences: a) you're in urgent need of a car b) you know you want a Model S because you've driven one. c) you're already a Tesla customer, have a sales rep contact and they might be able to help you to some extend.
In your scenario of Nov. 2012 there should be a market for used Model S, though. With a little luck, you'll find a replacement within days.

Shouldn't the topic title be changed to: "What if my Model S get's totaled?"

Seems to me that everybody here is assuming that he/she is going to wreck his/her own Model S, but it could always be some drunk idiot who slams into your parked Model S.

If somebody's Model S gets totaled and that would mean I have to wait one week extra on my Model S, so be it. People have been waiting so long now, they should get a replacement Model S asap when something like this happends.

Like mentioned before, with 20.000 vehicles per year and 250 workable days in a year we'll be looking at 80 vehicles per day. Squeezing in one extra Model S would be just one day (maybe!) of a delay for a fresh delivery.

I really do hope Tesla helps out these people, since somebody will become unluck and will lose his/her brand new Model S withing a very short period of time, wether it's his or her fault or not.

The real thing is I wouldn't know. And a +/- 1 cars per day would be well within their actual production rates.

Yeah. This is hopefully such a rare event that Tesla could try and work that person back in somehow. They'd still have to wait awhile I'm sure but I hope they wouldn't put them at the end of the line. By next spring they'll get to the point likely where that person would get put at the end of the line if they don't always have a 10,000 car list.

While I agree that the impact on current reservation holders would be negligible - for the sake of discussion, put yourself in Tesla's place.

Production has started, is rolling along. Someone has totaled their Model S and wants to go to the front of the line. Let's say there are 9000 people currently in the queue, reservation numbers in hand - and the owner of the totaled Model S shows up. While 8999 of the people currently in the queue think it's no big deal, do you (as Tesla) really want to deal with the guy who is freaking out because he paid for his spot in line and by god, you'd better not bump him even one spot to accommodate someone else?

So while I assume there are some empty slots in the queue & Tesla will help where they can - the paperwork involved and potential for a lawsuit/bad publicity ("entitled Signature holder who wrecked their S forces everyone else to wait, again") just wouldn't be worth making this a policy.

Again, I'm sure there are going to be gaps in the sequence where they could take care of this infrequent/unlikely situation without impacting everyone else. But while yes, 'we are a family', for business reasons it would be foolish. More than foolish. And as a stockholder, I'd prefer they not invite a lawsuit. And give the next unspoken for slot to the person who lost their car. Which may be no wait at all.

To sort of balance that Bonnie, what basis would one have to sue? As it stands, things will be sort of out of order based on the options one chooses. Whatever Tesla does, it shouldn't be made public just the same. No lawsuits, no forum discussion and no people "abusing the policy".