Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if I wanted to make a Tesla Taxi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I took this as far as I could.

I was finally able to get in touch with someone within the transport department that approves cars for Taxi use. They sent me the application form for the vehicle but it's extremely detailed and the specifications are not something I can answer in regards to the details of the seatbelt and all the other specific details of the car. The only people who could answer these questions are Tesla themselves. And I was told that somewhere along the line as I tried to find the appropriate person in the transport dept, that I would need the Supplier's support to get approval.

When I forward it to one of the staff at Tesla, they came back with a response that said Tesla HK is not interested in a Taxi fleet. So that's the end of that.

I can understand their decision, they are trying to market it as a luxury sports car, so if there are some driving around as a taxi it could mix the branding message.

Maybe when the brand is more established they could look at it again. As other have said before, if you get a Mercedes Taxi, it doesn't stop you from liking Mercedes, but that's many years of branding already established in the minds of consumers.

In other markets that have Tesla Taxis, that's great!! I guess we will have to wait some time before that can become a reality in HK. (Minus the uber type users I guess...)

How about using the Model S as an Uber car in HK? Although the app isnt as popular here compared to other cities.

Is Uber up and running in Hong Kong? I thought it was not allowed ...

I guess it is, I missed that:

Uber finally rides into Hong Kong

Uber - Hong Kong

35.00 startup, 2.00 pr minute AND 9.32 pr km, that makes a ~220 HKD trip to the airport almost twice as expensive for me, compared to a red taxi. Flat rates of 500 and 600 from Kowloon/HK Island to the airport indicates the same.

This premium price should keep Uber out of the spotlight of taxis vs Uber discussions in Hong Kong, as it is more like a limo service, rather than a taxi. I had the understanding that prices were more comparable to taxis, in other cities.

This premium price should keep Uber out of the spotlight of taxis vs Uber discussions in Hong Kong, as it is more like a limo service, rather than a taxi. I had the understanding that prices were more comparable to taxis, in other cities.

Looks like only Uber Black is available there. If they launch Uber X, that's where you'll see prices that beat typical taxi fares.

Looks like only Uber Black is available there. If they launch Uber X, that's where you'll see prices that beat typical taxi fares.

Oh, I see - that is what "Black" means. Prices on taxis in Hong Kong are quite low compared to other cites to begin with, so let's see what they come up with. A taxi ride of 35 km (22 miles) and 25-30 minutes that I often do is around 28 USD

Anyone who wants to sign up to Uber, feel free to use nd9rd as invite code. Just so I can find out what that implies hehe :)