Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Mitt Romney Bought a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No republican would be crazy enough do drive an EV in public before the primary process was over. In the general election as was said above, it could help him but could also depress his base. I think EVs should be the conservative's choice since it is one step in the process of reducing our oil imports but it doesn't seem to work like that.

You hit the nail on the head with me. But I don't think that Mitt would go for one, as he is still probably feeling the backlash from that whole elevator escapade.

No seriously, here me out. What if he bought his way to a Signature Series, took delivery in the summer, and then started driving it around campaigning in it? [...] If you are Democrat or independent, would you vote for him[...]?
I am not a one-issue voter. No single issue would get me to vote for one candidate or another. There are things I like a lot about Obama and things I dislike a lot. If Romney gave me one thing to like about him, that would not be sufficient to change my vote.

I certainly hope that nobody here is shallow enough to vote for a candidate based solely on one single issue.

(I'm not going to discuss other issues or who I plan on voting for in this thread except to say it will probably be neither of the big-money candidates.)

He doesn't own cars, per se, he owns investment companies that own parts of car companies. He doesn't drive, he is chauffeured. He most likely has no idea of how an ICE car works (why would he) and less of an idea of how TM is making EV's. He knows that the money TM received should have gone to "his interests" if he had been president. He is politically motivated to create more wealth for the very wealthy full stop. Everything else, I imagine, he considers "charity".

I'm happy to be proven wrong on anything, but his actions are very telling.

And furthermore...I really have no idea why people need more money than to comfortably finance a Model S. :wink:

Can't see him doing it - by definition:

Conservatism (from the the root word to conserve) = Afraid to/Against change

He'll tout the status quo (which the rich tend to like unless they got an early head start on the change)....

He doesn't own cars, per se, he owns investment companies that own parts of car companies. He doesn't drive, he is chauffeured. He most likely has no idea of how an ICE car works (why would he) and less of an idea of how TM is making EV's. He knows that the money TM received should have gone to "his interests" if he had been president. He is politically motivated to create more wealth for the very wealthy full stop. Everything else, I imagine, he considers "charity".

I'm happy to be proven wrong on anything, but his actions are very telling.

And furthermore...I really have no idea why people need more money than to comfortably finance a Model S. :wink:
His dad was president of AMC when he was growing up, I think he knows a bit about ICE cars.

The largest contributors to conservative super-pacs are oil and gas companies. They are also the largest contributors to republican campaigns, not just superpacs. That pretty much precludes Romney from ever supporting EVs in any way, shape or form.

A long time ago, my Dad had a friend who was an AMC rep so he always had a new AMC. I recall thinking at the time how cheap the interior looked compared to other cars--and that was when the car was brand new.
When I picked up my AMC Jeep, new, after waiting a considerable time for it (don't remember exactly how long) one of the hinges on the tailgate was rusted. I asked them to replace it before I took the car, and they said that it was "not a warranty item." I considered refusing the car, but living in N.D. I wanted 4WD, and the Jeep was the only 4WD car I could afford, and I was young and stupid, so I took the car. It broke down constantly, left me stranded frequently, and parts took forever to get. On one occasion I waited six weeks for a part and had to hitchhike to town for groceries. As far as I am concerned, AMC were criminals.