TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What if Mitt Romney Bought a Model S?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rolosrevenge, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

You hit the nail on the head with me. But I don't think that Mitt would go for one, as he is still probably feeling the backlash from that whole elevator escapade.

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

I am not a one-issue voter. No single issue would get me to vote for one candidate or another. There are things I like a lot about Obama and things I dislike a lot. If Romney gave me one thing to like about him, that would not be sufficient to change my vote.

I certainly hope that nobody here is shallow enough to vote for a candidate based solely on one single issue.

(I'm not going to discuss other issues or who I plan on voting for in this thread except to say it will probably be neither of the big-money candidates.)

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

He doesn't own cars, per se, he owns investment companies that own parts of car companies. He doesn't drive, he is chauffeured. He most likely has no idea of how an ICE car works (why would he) and less of an idea of how TM is making EV's. He knows that the money TM received should have gone to "his interests" if he had been president. He is politically motivated to create more wealth for the very wealthy full stop. Everything else, I imagine, he considers "charity".

I'm happy to be proven wrong on anything, but his actions are very telling.

And furthermore...I really have no idea why people need more money than to comfortably finance a Model S. :wink:

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

Substitute "used Honda Civic" or "40-foot luxury yacht" for "Model S" and you have descriptions of how much money some other folks think a person "needs." :biggrin:

5. heems

heems Member

Can't see him doing it - by definition:

Conservatism (from the the root word to conserve) = Afraid to/Against change

He'll tout the status quo (which the rich tend to like unless they got an early head start on the change)....

6. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

His dad was president of AMC when he was growing up, I think he knows a bit about ICE cars.

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

That explains alot:eek:

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

The largest contributors to conservative super-pacs are oil and gas companies. They are also the largest contributors to republican campaigns, not just superpacs. That pretty much precludes Romney from ever supporting EVs in any way, shape or form.

9. daniel

daniel Active Member

Worst car I ever owned was an AMC Jeep.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A long time ago, my Dad had a friend who was an AMC rep so he always had a new AMC. I recall thinking at the time how cheap the interior looked compared to other cars--and that was when the car was brand new.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My dad was an artist. I can't paint.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

He has a coupla Cadillacs.

13. daniel

daniel Active Member

When I picked up my AMC Jeep, new, after waiting a considerable time for it (don't remember exactly how long) one of the hinges on the tailgate was rusted. I asked them to replace it before I took the car, and they said that it was "not a warranty item." I considered refusing the car, but living in N.D. I wanted 4WD, and the Jeep was the only 4WD car I could afford, and I was young and stupid, so I took the car. It broke down constantly, left me stranded frequently, and parts took forever to get. On one occasion I waited six weeks for a part and had to hitchhike to town for groceries. As far as I am concerned, AMC were criminals.