TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What if? - Model X hitting Prius driver side door at 50MPH

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MXWing, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Prius made a left turn on a red right in front of my Model X .I stopped in time, but had I not, it would have been a 50MPH hit right on the driver side door.

I know there is no better car to be hit in than Tesla but what happens to the other car?

5,441LB Curb weight vehicle is not something I'd want ramming into me.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The other car gets demolished.

Model S in a head-on is bad news for the other driver. Tho I recall a Model S hitting a street sweeper at a high rate of speed and the S was demolished. Physics.

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Would this of been possibly fatal? The fault is all the Prius driver but nothing I'd want to be a part of thats for sure.

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Its quite possible that if you hadn't braked at all it would have been fatal. The crumple zones in the Tesla absorb energy and less the damage to both cars, not just the Tesla. However a 50MPh crash has a ton of energy. If the Prius had side impact airbags they may have saved the driver. Also depends on exactly where you hit. If you hit dead on the drivers door, thats gonna be bad, but if you hit a little bit forward or back of the door it would be much less likely to be fatal.