TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What if no Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TrickyDimitri, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
?

If Model 3 was out of the question what type of car would you buy?

1. Hybrid

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Plug-in Hybrid

12 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. ICE

30 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. EV

65 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. TrickyDimitri

TrickyDimitri Soon...very soon.

I have read a lot of comments, and I am curious how much importance most people are placing on the fact the Tesla is an EV compared to that is it a Tesla (if that makes sense). If the Model 3 was no longer an option for you then would you buy another EV like the Leaf of Bolt, or would you buy another luxury car like a BMW or Audi? For us, our next car will be an EV. I hope that ends up being the Model 3, but if that doesn't work out then it will be another EV.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

Model S

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I will never purchase a non-electrified vehicle again. Unfortunately, no other BEV has the charging support of a Tesla...so if we're discussing vehicles in the Model 3 price range, a PHEV is the only option.

• Like x 4
  4. 206er

206er Member

We'd probably buy the Civic or Accord that my wife otherwise wants us to buy. She could car less about whether or not our car is an EV or luxury vehicle, just so long as it can get us from point A to point B reliably.

• Informative x 1
  5. Petra

Petra Member

I'd buy another Model S. I'm done with buying ICEs (current S is our second EV, first was a Leaf back in 2012). The EV driving experience is just better than the alternative.

• Like x 2
  6. SureValla

SureValla Member

I'd probably keep my prius longer until another desirable EV came around.

• Like x 1
  7. TrickyDimitri

I feel like I should have added that people who can afford a Model S shouldn't vote. LOL. I read lots of current S owners who say they will never buy ICE, but I read more comments from non-owners that lean in different directions. I would probably go with Bolt if I needed something now (the 2006 Civic still has some miles left), or wait to see the new Leaf. If I was going to get an S I would want the updated AP, and most of the CPO cards don't have that.

• Like x 1
  8. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

I would keep my 2013 Leaf until something else more appealing came along. Not interested in the Bolt, or the updated Leaf as it looks about the same as the current gen. I guess maybe something from BMW or Audi once they have a decent long range EV (and not the hideous i3).

• Informative x 1
  9. TrickyDimitri

Yeah. I was trying to keep it within that price range of 30-45k. I should have been more specific, but I am still curious what people have to say.

10. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Model S is a valid choice because there is a larger than expected group of people who stretched to get an S because it was the best option available. These are folks coming from Civics and Celicas.

I put my S purchase on hold until after I get my 3. Its very possible I might like the 3 enough just to get another one of those instead. Why spend what you don't have to?

• Like x 1
  11. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Used Model S can be found in that price range, and you will probably be able to get one with AP in the near future I bet. If I could get a used AP Model S for under 45k, that would be extremely compelling to me.

• Like x 3
  12. Parzival

Parzival Member

I bought a '13 Volt, used, about a year ago so I could drive electric until my Model 3 arrives. In that time I've used 23 gallons of gas. I'd have bought a used Leaf if they'd been thermally managed. I couldn't get a decent price on a new one, and I didn't trust a used one to meet my needs. Knowing what I know now, I'd be fine with a 50-mile Leaf for 99% of my driving.

Coincidentally, I'm really looking forward to getting rid of my Odyssey. Hopefully with a Y or a used X. Turns out I hate buying gas as much as I hate burning it!

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  13. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

I would most likely end up buying an ICE, I would consider a Hybrid or plugin, but only if the price is right and if it isn't a prius.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. TrickyDimitri

Wow. I can't remember the last time I thought about a Celica.

15. Runt8

Runt8 Member

My other option was a maxed out Accord Hybrid.

• Informative x 1
  16. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

I'm looking for a fun to drive decent performance car within a reasonable budget. Reducing my carbon footprint is not a top priority of mine when it comes to cars. If the model 3 doesn't fit the bill then I'll be getting an Audi A4/A6 or a BMW 3 or 5 series.

• Informative x 1
  17. kev1n

kev1n Member

why would you exclude model s? if you can afford a brand new model 3, you can afford a used model s.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

I reserved a Model 3 back in March. When the new referral program was announced a couple of months ago, I crunched the numbers, got a referral from my friend who bought his S back at the beginning (in 2012) and about a month later, I took delivery of my Model X 90D. This is the best car I've ever owned.

#NoRegrets

Andrew

• Informative x 1
  19. Parzival

Parzival Member

I'd consider replacing my van with a used model X someday, but I'm terrified of servicing those doors. Repairing the sliding doors on my minivan was bad enough.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#20 BluestarE3, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    No option for "Nothing"? As a couple of others had mentioned, I'd just keep my current car if the Model 3 hadn't come along. I had to replace the traction battery on my 2001 Prius a couple of years ago, so it should be good for a few more years. I have no pressing need to get a new car now, but I've thought about getting an EV for years (always some time in the future). That now there's a Tesla I can afford and that I can get a tax credit before it expires are compelling reasons to act now.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1