TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What if Tesla Model X deliveries in 2015 will be with the 90 kWh battery pack ONLY?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Benz, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Benz

Benz Active Member

What would you say if Tesla would announce that all deliveries of the Tesla Model X in 2015 will be with the 90 kWh battery pack ONLY ???

And that all orders for a Tesla Model X with a 70 kWh battery pack will be delivered as from January 2016 at the soonest.

What would you say ???

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

"I'll take the 90, please" ;)

Seriously I don't expect mine until 2016 anyway, and will go for the 90 regardless.

I think your hunch is correct though.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Can we please change misleading title to include "what if"? I get enough click-bait through the normal "news" sources.

4. hill

hill Member

I 2nd that motion
    :cursing:

5. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

My sentiments exactly.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Who's ordering an X with a 70 in the first place? I think that'll be quite a small percentage of buyers. Maybe as small as those who ordered the S40.

7. 1208

1208 Active Member

I don't think they will offer an X below the 90kwh pack. The other option to the 90kwh will be above 100kw.

8. lucy

lucy bluehair

Clickbait!!!
    and I second that emotion!
    Most will want 90 for our giant utili-EVs anyhoo.
    We just want them!

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Tesla first delivered the Model S with largest battery size - but that was due to ramping up an entire production facility for the first time, not just a new line.

But who would want a 70? Anyone? ... load it up, please.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

If they follow what they did with the MS, the highest $$$$$ dollar MX orders will be prioritized first.

11. Johan

All of the Tesla Model X deliveries in 2015 will be with the 90 kWh battery p...

Don't underestimate the market for base X70s (assuming those are offered). With the dollar being very strong vs. the EUR, NOK and CHF the X is going to be rather expensive over here. I think there is quite a large portion of those interested in the X that are kind of price sensitive. It's a 7-people family hauler where even the base version likely has more than enough performance and AWD. Also people over here's have started to get a hang of EVs and understand that you can live very well with the "limited range" of the 70, especially as the SC is starting to get really well built out in Europe.

• Dislike x 1
  12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Realistically, Tesla should prioritize the X90 over the X70....makes financial sense and minimizes production complexity.

Also would not surprise me if the 90D is a requirement for the towing package.

13. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

#13 Paul Carter, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Mod note: thread title updated to reflect it as a question, not a fact.

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Nice typo. :)

15. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

I do wonder if this shouldn't be a factor given the fact the battery packs will be used for both the S and the X. I'm still hoping the 90 is the lowest option and Tesla has another new higher pack ready for the X launch.

- - - Updated - - -

lol. Darn autocorrect.

16. Johan

I think it's highly unlikely there will be a bigger pack than the 90 when the X launches soon. Remember: same skateboard as the S. The 90 pack is obviously their top of the line battery at the moment. It would kill S orders if they announced an even newer, bigger, battery pack in a month or so. Not gonna happen.

17. Benz

Benz Active Member

I agree with Johan.

18. hill

hill Member

this is great, talking about a 70 as though anyone even knows for certain what size things will be on the X.

19. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

As someone who's sort of on the fence between the 70 and the 90 (depending on price and actual range difference), this would definitely sway me toward the 90. I had a similar situation in 2005 when I bought the first 7-seater hybrid SUV (the Toyota Highlander Hybrid). They were offering the hybrid motor for all configurations but if you wanted to get it sooner, you had to get the fully loaded Limited Edition so I did that. Apparently I only buy cars with waiting lists. :) Still driving it today (well not right now, because driving while posting is dangerous).

-CB

20. Ampster

Ampster Member

I'm #20k so it is a long way before I have to make that decision. Hopefully in a few months I will know how much the car will cost and can reflect then. Currently on the fence.