Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Tesla Model X deliveries in 2015 will be with the 90 kWh battery pack ONLY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope you are wrong. The MX range with the 90 is marginal for me. I would be much more comfortable with 100+ bringing the range closer to 300. I really don't care what the effect is on MS owners and if Elon really wants to produce "the best CUV possible" he shouldn't care either. Just roll out the larger battery to the MS at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure hope you are wrong. The MX range with the 90 is marginal for me. I would be much more comfortable with 100+ bringing the range closer to 300. I really don't care what the effect is on MS owners and if Elon really wants to produce "the best CUV possible" he shouldn't care either. Just roll out the larger battery to the MS at the same time.

Just to add to the speculation, I'm pretty sure 90kwh will be the largest battery for a while. Keep in mind that the 85kwh battery has all its modules filled, while the 90kwh has the same number of cells, but adds "some" silicon to the cathode chemistry. A larger battery would require a higher concentration of silicon, something Tesla seems to be hesitant on until they get more time on the 90kwh batteries (which haven't even shipped with any cars yet!).

So if you're expecting greater than 90kwh anytime soon, keep wishing!

I predict the following:

All Model X vehicles will contain a 90kwh battery, however, they can be purchased with range disabled, just as the 40kwh Model S was.

Why do I speculate this? It is to their advantage to only make one battery, then make a profit on enabling that additional range later. Think of the testing required for the different masses, and the varying power components.

Downside of this is that a 70kwh-enabled vehicle will have lousy range per kwh for all that un-usable weight.

I predict the following:

All Model X vehicles will contain a 90kwh battery, however, they can be purchased with range disabled, just as the 40kwh Model S was.

Why do I speculate this? It is to their advantage to only make one battery, then make a profit on enabling that additional range later. Think of the testing required for the different masses, and the varying power components.

Downside of this is that a 70kwh-enabled vehicle will have lousy range per kwh for all that un-usable weight.

Unlikely. They would do this with the S, which they're not, by the same logic.

What would you say if Tesla would announce that all deliveries of the Tesla Model X in 2015 will be with the 90 kWh battery pack ONLY ???

And that all orders for a Tesla Model X with a 70 kWh battery pack will be delivered as from January 2016 at the soonest.

What would you say ???

I'll get the largest battery available when I order. If a larger battery comes out later, then some people will have a bigger battery than I do. I'll have my big-enough battery longer than they'll have their bigger battery. I win.