TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What if Tesla would give P85D owners free ludicrous update?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Matias, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

I don't have P85D, so this does not concern me.

But I feel Tesla should give P85D owners free ludicrous update, because they did not get what was advertised.

Tesla is now offering this update to them with 5000 USD + work. But what if Tesla would offer it for free? Of course it would cost them a lot, but in the long run I believe it would be wise. Think about the headlines "Tesla offers free update to current owners".
    Good publicity would be huge. Current owners would praise the company.

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

3. McMuggets

McMuggets Member

Advertised was 0-60mph in 3.2s, which is what we bought and what we received. How did us owners "not get what was advertised"?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe Tesla should update the software to roll back acceleration to the original 3.2 seconds as promised.

If you want the Ludicrous upgrade I'd say buy it.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not a good idea, as people would start expecting more free stuff. P85D owners got the acceleration that was advertised. There is a thread about some Danish owners claiming they did not, but I don't agree, and there is plenty of evidence to indicate that they did.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

If it doesn't concern you, why even post this "ludicrous" idea?

7. Matias

Matias Active Member

691hp != 500 hp

8. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

no - there would still be mad posts.

9. TSLAopt

TSLAopt Active Member

I traded my 60 in for a CPO P85D a few weeks ago and am a bit disappointed in my 0-60 time so far...it's by far the fastest car I've ever had but when I timed it a couple times it was closer to 4 seconds even, not 3.2. I called service here in San Rafael CA and there's nothing it seems they will do about it.

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

At the risk of sounding foolish, did Tesla ever promise 691 horsepower? If so, where?

The closest I've seen to Tesla promising a total number was Elon's rather vague "half again as much as a P85" in the October announcement. All the Tesla documents I've seen have just said the 470 rear motor power and the 221 front motor power.

The model S page right now shows at the bottom the 70D as having "328 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" and the 85D as having "417 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" - and the P85D as having a "259 HP front motor and a 503 HP rear motor" - no total number provided.

Certainly the news media has added the two motor numbers and announced 691 horsepower all over the place, but I never saw Tesla do that. (In fairness, I also never saw Tesla correct anyone who chose to do that.)
    Walter

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla did for awhile have 691hp on their website. Check the long post in the driving dynamics section about this.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Truth. People are going to complain, regardless. Plenty of evidence just in this forum to support that. And all the talk of wanting free stuff?

I predict that things like the thread reporting the swag people got at delivery will drive an internal action at Tesla, making it clear what the limits are on swag. People will get less, not more, because they're going into stores with that thread and saying 'hey, they got all this stuff, where's mine?'.

13. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Pretty generous of Tesla to offer the 6 month? half price upgrade to current owners, now talk of free? Some people's children...

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

No, thank you. I don't subscribe to the position taken up by a small section of the P85D owner base about apparently not getting what was advertised. I'll opt for and pay for the Ludicrous upgrade based on early reviews and side-by-side comparisons with Insane.

15. heems

heems Member

This pattern is getting boring. Every upgrade some group of people start crying. Get over it or don't buy in and stay on the sidelines.

16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

"What if Tesla would give P85D FREE Ludicrous update?"

A TSLA shareholder revolt and a bunch of negative press, given the current cash burn.

17. YouShan

YouShan New Member

Actually, it's not as easy as doing it for free.

If I remember correctly, it's not just a software update. They need to replace the fuse in the battery pack to support higher flow of energy (TMC invented a new fuse). If ludicrous speed is just enabled OTA on current P85D models, it will just burn out the fuse in the battery pack.

18. Matias

Matias Active Member

#18 Matias, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    This is screenshot taken soon after the reveal of P85D

p85D2.jpg

It says 691 Motor Power. Many understood it to mean 691 hp delivered to and measured at the output shaft.

19. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

... And a pony!

20. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

No, not the pony trick again.
    I fell for that and ended up empty handed (got some rep points out of it, that's all.)