Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if the key fob gets wet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to the waterpark with my kids. Having a great time until I see my son playing with what looks like a little boat. At a closer glance I realize it's my coveted Tesla key!! Good news is...It still worked after being submerged in water for a long time.
key.JPG

...but I'd recommend that you open it up, remove the battery and let it sit and dry out completely for a day or two before trying to use it again.

^Definitely do this!

If you can throw it in a cup of rice that would be even better.

Agree. Unless you have any of those little hydro-absorbing gel packets that come packaged with various electricals.

Reactions: Akikiki
Last week I ran over my key at the garage here in NYC. ( the parking guys hide it on top of the tire). I realized it too late,,, went back and picked up the squashed key. That was two weeks ago, havent had any issues with it working... something tells me I should replace it..... these things are tough...

Last week I ran over my key at the garage here in NYC. ( the parking guys hide it on top of the tire). I realized it too late,,, went back and picked up the squashed key. That was two weeks ago, havent had any issues with it working... something tells me I should replace it..... these things are tough...
Sounds like the key fob gets a 5.4 out of 5 star safety rating, as well.

:tongue:

Model S Keyfob Relatively Water Resistant

I have it on good authority that if you get thrown in to a pool with a Model S keyfob in your pocket, it will continue to work. :eek:

I immediately fished it out of my pocket and threw in on to dry land... I then removed it from it's Fob Pocket and pulled the battery cover off and blew it out the best I could.... and let it dry. It still seems to operate the car just fine...

I don't recommend this, however... :wink:

Last edited:
I can confirm the FobPocket is waterproof, and floats :)

I've been making a silicone rubber mold of the key for future projects, and it is fairly watertight, but there's no actual seal on the battery door, it's just a good fit, so it's not a good idea to submerge it for long. A very small amount of the rubber made it into the interior compartment, but it set long before it got too far.

its bad to get any electronic board wet that has a power source.

if you submerge it, take the battery out, dump everything into a bag of rice or a bag full of those silica packs (the dry packs that come with laptops and other things)

leave it there for at least 24-48 hours to be safe, if its your phone, 5 days, if its an iphone, forget it, you cant take out the battery, the voltage/current on the traces will start frying smd's immediately.

BTW now that you guys mention it, i think im getting this after work

http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-317/...price&h=10+50004+50617+50042&f=10+50004+50042

Last edited:
I mistakenly left the fob in my jeans pocket. Subsequently my jeans and the fob went for a wash in the washing machine and a spin in the dryer. My fob did not make it out alive. I had to get a new one.

Thought I would learn my lesson, but NO....I did it again. Fortunately the fob (a different one) survived the 2nd time I did it.

The first time it went through the wash/dryer it was a better quality machine than the 2nd time. That might have something to do with the fob surviving the 2nd incident.

Printed circuit boards take to soap & water very well. Salt water not so much.

Better if the fob is riding in the jeans watch pocket. To avoid that happening I put a sticker next to the washer ON button as a reminder. So far so good.
--