TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What if the key fob gets wet?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Viperbrad, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Viperbrad

Viperbrad Member

So I went to the waterpark with my kids. Having a great time until I see my son playing with what looks like a little boat. At a closer glance I realize it's my coveted Tesla key!! Good news is...It still worked after being submerged in water for a long time.
    key.JPG

• Like x 1
  2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR

So far, so good!

...but I'd recommend that you open it up, remove the battery and let it sit and dry out completely for a day or two before trying to use it again.

• Like x 1
  3. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

If you can throw it in a cup of rice that would be even better.

• Like x 1
  4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

^Definitely do this!

Agree. Unless you have any of those little hydro-absorbing gel packets that come packaged with various electricals.

• Like x 1
  5. lorih

lorih Member

I wonder if Elon's son's tried this before the design was finalized.

:wink:

6. epares

epares Member

Last week I ran over my key at the garage here in NYC. ( the parking guys hide it on top of the tire). I realized it too late,,, went back and picked up the squashed key. That was two weeks ago, havent had any issues with it working... something tells me I should replace it..... these things are tough...

7. Electric Machete

I'd like to see Tesla or a 3rd party sell a waterproof key fob.

8. NotMandatory

NotMandatory Member

Sounds like the key fob gets a 5.4 out of 5 star safety rating, as well.

:tongue:

• Funny x 1
  9. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

#9 scaesare, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Model S Keyfob Relatively Water Resistant

I have it on good authority that if you get thrown in to a pool with a Model S keyfob in your pocket, it will continue to work. :eek:

I immediately fished it out of my pocket and threw in on to dry land... I then removed it from it's Fob Pocket and pulled the battery cover off and blew it out the best I could.... and let it dry. It still seems to operate the car just fine...

I don't recommend this, however... :wink:

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I can confirm the FobPocket is waterproof, and floats :)

I've been making a silicone rubber mold of the key for future projects, and it is fairly watertight, but there's no actual seal on the battery door, it's just a good fit, so it's not a good idea to submerge it for long. A very small amount of the rubber made it into the interior compartment, but it set long before it got too far.

11. AC1K

AC1K Member

#11 AC1K, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    its bad to get any electronic board wet that has a power source.

if you submerge it, take the battery out, dump everything into a bag of rice or a bag full of those silica packs (the dry packs that come with laptops and other things)

leave it there for at least 24-48 hours to be safe, if its your phone, 5 days, if its an iphone, forget it, you cant take out the battery, the voltage/current on the traces will start frying smd's immediately.

BTW now that you guys mention it, i think im getting this after work

http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-317/aquapac-keymaster-case-608/?Ns=p_min_sale_price&h=10+50004+50617+50042&f=10+50004+50042

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I just purchased two outdoor fans for installation on our front porch. Both boxes contained a big bag of that stuff. :rolleyes:

[/OT]

13. Jkam

Jkam Member

I mistakenly left the fob in my jeans pocket. Subsequently my jeans and the fob went for a wash in the washing machine and a spin in the dryer. My fob did not make it out alive. I had to get a new one.

Thought I would learn my lesson, but NO....I did it again. Fortunately the fob (a different one) survived the 2nd time I did it.

The first time it went through the wash/dryer it was a better quality machine than the 2nd time. That might have something to do with the fob surviving the 2nd incident.

14. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

For dehydrating, put it in the refrigerator (not freezer). Same thing for paers/books that get wet.

BTW, how does one pop the case on the FOB?

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

There's a small recess on the underside that a (sturdy) thumb nail or a small screwdriver can get under, just lever it a bit and the battery door pops off (towards the keyring end).

16. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I (unintentionally) ran one of the keyfobs through the washing machine and the dryer.

It was fine. Quite impressive actually.

17. damienvu

damienvu Member

Can the key fob survive the washing macine and dryer?

YES!!! Thank goodness.

18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Printed circuit boards take to soap & water very well. Salt water not so much.

Better if the fob is riding in the jeans watch pocket. To avoid that happening I put a sticker next to the washer ON button as a reminder. So far so good.
    --

19. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

My heart broke ever so slightly just reading the title to this thread. :(

I would follow wycolo's above suggestion. Please don't do this to your FOB...

20. kota23

kota23 Member

Mine has gone through the washer/dryer cycle and come out okay. Not sure if it's the recommended cleaning method though.