Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What IF...The production MX has NO falcon doors................?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason people blame the doors is they're hopeful they'll be omitted.

Another reason is it's a pretty technical challenge. Compare it all you want to hatchbacks and the back door of a MS. It's not remotely the same thing. I worry about clearance on my MS hatchback door all the time, because it doesn't sense and stop itself from hitting a wall or ceiling. And I'm usually right behind it with my hand on it. I can't be on two sides of a car at the same time. I don't know if a rake is hanging close, or a small concrete filled parking block protruding just slightly above the swing of the door. Engineering has to get the sensors flawless, or people will be coming back with requests for body repairs because the doors were bumping into things (right or wrong). It's a challenge. And while I get that Tesla is well above the challenge, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the doors could have set things back to some degree.

I think they are trying to beat the Honda Odyssey to it.

A lot of parents skip SUVs because they are very impractical in parking lots when you have to remove car seats and kids.

If the gullwings raise with little lateral protrusion there wil be a MASSIVE market for the Model X.

The market is also missing a luxury minivan, the main competitor to the Model X, but Marchione has plans to bring a futuristic AWD Chrysler T&C cca. 2016.

Look at all these yuppies getting married in their late thirties and forties, they are loaded and ready for it.

I'm speculating that the reason for the delays isn't necessarily due to the doors, but instead they are making the entire interior extremely luxurious with entertainment systems and all the bells and whistles you'd find in other cars along with some new stuff not found in other cars. Maybe 4G LTE support with consoles built into the back seats with Internet access and private headphones for playing games and watching movies, etc etc. and cup holders too. I think it's going to be so feature rich everyone's going to want to get rid of their ICE suv's and make this the family vehicle. Maybe they'll have an espresso maker built in too. ;)

Dennis, here's a nice Espresso machine that runs on 400 V power (wire it straight to the HV battery). Will probably take up the entire 3rd row though...

edb775517b1c1e34833f11b5a37eb86e.jpg

Buy Classe 7 E 2 group 400V 3+N - Machines for professional use

Today's Model X update email to reservation holders confirmed that the falcon doors will be part of the final vehicle.

The email says "In the meantime, we are building beta vehicles in the factory right now, and we’ll be using them for crash testing in the near future." Sounds like they are worried the Falcon Doors could fail crash testing.

*throws grenade, ducks for cover*

The email says "In the meantime, we are building beta vehicles in the factory right now, and we’ll be using them for crash testing in the near future." Sounds like they are worried the Falcon Doors could fail crash testing.

*throws grenade, ducks for cover*

Ohhhhhhh no you don't. Front and center. I'm throwing you right on top of that grenade. Own it.

It does NOT sound like they think it will fail crash testing. What engineer in their right mind sends their work out for the independent testing without having done their own testing first? (Answer: Not one who expects to keep their job.)

And if it DID fail testing, it would not mean a redesign, only some tweaks to the design.

Man, after commenting on my ability to detect sarcasm, you sure missed his, Bonnie. :) That, or your sarcasm-fu is at a very high level, and you just felt the need for a serious reply to deter future misreadings by those with low sarcasm-fu.

Ohhhhhhh no you don't. Front and center. I'm throwing you right on top of that grenade. Own it.

It does NOT sound like they think it will fail crash testing. What engineer in their right mind sends their work out for the independent testing without having done their own testing first? (Answer: Not one who expects to keep their job.)

And if it DID fail testing, it would not mean a redesign, only some tweaks to the design.

Also, a lot of crash testing is done via computer simulation, and it's been done this way for years if not decades.

The vehicle would never have gotten to the Alpha stage if the engineers hadn't already put the frame though exhaustive virtual qualification.