Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if there was 2 prices for SC access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that local charging is frowned at SC's but what if Tesla charged an extra fee for people who wanted to use it?

As in 1000$ for long distance and 3000$ for local access?

The money could be used to expand the network and I'm sure they could control it via software, as in stop people who have not paid for the extra feature from using it at their local SC's?

This would help them sell more cars because although I can and will move in order to be able to buy and use my model 3 I'm sure many people would not be willing to.

What do the rest of you think?

IMO the 'danger' there is creating the perception that L3 is an alternative to L2... it's not. There are a few rare instances where L3 is necessary long term for local use like Taxies but for the vast majority of users there needs to be a concerted effort to expand L2.

It's human nature... if you just paid $3k to use the supercharger next door you're going to be A LOT less motivated your pushing land lord, HOA, city council or employer to install a L2 charger.

More L3 is simply not a cost effective alternative to L2 and expanded urban use at scale has the potential to seriously threaten grid stability. I was at a supercharger near a hotel on a recent trip, I was amused by the fact that the transformer that fed the 6 supercharger bays was larger than the transformer that fed the hotel.

Reactions: Jaff
To provide drivers with local charging would extremely expensive. The three closest SC network chargers to me range are 65, 65, and 70 miles away. To work for local charging it would have to be conviemt to your home. Also I don't know who would want to wait in line and then pay an extra 30 minutes after working a long day to get their cars charged. As Elon said the other day people mines need to change to realize they have to arrange for charging at home. Everyone who lives in an apartment or condo needs to start working now with management and expect to pay a deposit and an additional fee each month to charge.

It would be unfair to make those who really need the SC, those who have driven 200 miles, wait in line. $3,000 would never be enough to pay to build out the type of infrastructure you would need to provide local charging. It is purchasing or leasing property, build out of the infrastructure, maintenance, telecommunications and cost of electricity.

It is my understanding Tesla has already send letters out to those who abuse the SC network and frequently, several times a week, charge their cars at their local charger and the next step will be to throttle or prevent charging for these people at the local charger.

My area is kind of rural (7 miles to the closest gas station) but even here there are several chargers within 10 miles who charge for charging.

41522edb4f42599180c0c0982df855213164a9577ae3f97d45a03b18dd159c23.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
So I know that local charging is frowned at SC's but what if Tesla charged an extra fee for people who wanted to use it?

The money could be used to expand the network and I'm sure they could control it via software, as in stop people who have not paid for the extra feature from using it at their local SC's?

This would help them sell more cars because although I can and will move in order to be able to buy and use my model 3 I'm sure many people would not be willing to.

What do the rest of you think?

It could work if there was a way to schedule/book visits and local SC stalls were separate from long distance stalls.