TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What if your phone gets stolen?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Stijn, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Stijn

Stijn Member

Still waiting for my delivery but I was wondering about security. When talking about stealing a tesla with a friend, I suggested that it would be the easiest to steal his cell phone. So what if your phone gets stolen and you are afraid that your security codes are compromised ?

what are the steps to secure your Tesla? Can you block access from an app or log off an app? Or should you call the hotline?

2. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

Put a password on your phone. Same applies if you do any banking through an app.

3. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

I've also buried my Tesla app and Plugshare app so its not obvious that I have such a car. On my iPhone, I have a folder of apps called "Utilities" and both Tesla and Plugshare live on the 2nd page within that folder so you'd really have to hunt for them to find them. On my Android tablet, I don't have icons on the "desktop" for them, you have to go through the apps menu to find them.

Not really a security thing, just buys me time if my phone gets swiped or lost.

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The car can't be started without entering a PIN. The worst that can happen is the car is unlocked. If you still have your key, you can go to your car and turn off the internet connection so they can't do anything to your car. Drive home, log into your MyTesla account and change your password so they can't do anything in the future with the phone app.

This is all a moot point if they can't get past the lock on your phone.

5. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Step 1: Change your MyTesla Password.
    Step 2: Remote Wipe the phone (iPhone via "Find my iPhone", Android via "Android Device Manager")
    Step 3: Call Police
    Step 4: Call Tesla

Or, Don't do Steps 1 and 2, because on another phone you can watch and see exactly where the car is at any time. Then do Step 3 and tell them where the car is!

6. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

From the car you can block the remote access.

7. eloder

eloder Member

The remote wipe/lock functions are quite effective. Combine that with stopping service with your cell provider temporarily and you're golden.

Both the Android and iPhone equivalent wipe commands will wipe your phone the second they connect to any internet connection, so it quite literally is impossible for someone to log into the Tesla app with either command pending. Putting a PIN at a minimum will allow you enough time to put these other security measures through.

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Should that be done while or after the car is stolen? ;)

9. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

No, the easiest is to steal the car remote not the phone.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

What has always bothered me with iOS is the Safari Keychain password is the same as the lock screen password. I would love to have a 6-digit lock screen password and a long, mixed-character Keychain password. If someone figures out my lock screen code, they can then go look at all my saved passwords. I've contemplated moving all my passwords to 1Password now that I hear the iOS 9 can use external password managers.

11. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

#11 TampaRich, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    I can vouch for 1Password. Been using it for two years and couldn't imagine living without it.

12. JonG

JonG Member

Absolutely!

You can also remotely track an iphone and remotely delete it if you wanted which you can't do with a key fob.

You've been able to unlock my BMW from my phone for the last 4 years and I've never been worried about this. This isn't really an issue.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

^^^This. No one would bother to steal a phone on the off chance they could steal the car. If they wanted to steal the car, stealing the fob (or towing the car) is be so much easier. This is not something to lose sleep over.