Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What in the wild wild world of sports is this? Tesla LIDAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Just walking past the Alameda Supercharger and this guy was there charging. I asked him what I was looking at and he said he could tell me, it's a secret:

IMG_2172.jpeg
IMG_2173.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

Looks very homemade, but the plates are Tesla's

Definitely a bunch of extra sensors for some reason. Those flat plates facing to the rear and a little bit out and down look like phased array radar units. The others look like cameras, but could be something else - the fixed sensor LIDAR in the new iPhone sorta looks like that, maybe.

Looks like plain radars to me, not phased array, especially since there are two of them with a small angle between, which would be useless with a phase array radar.

This is a plain classical automotive radar:
Continental Automotive

I don't know how the car pictures above give any clue there is a phase array radar.

On the other end, it would be strange if Tesla was testing only plain radars, since automotive phase array radars do exist now

Edit : ah, found this Tesla spotted testing prototype with new array of sensors - Electrek

Last edited:
Looks like plain radars to me, not phased array, especially since there are two of them with a small angle between, which would be useless with a phase array radar.

This is a plain classical automotive radar:
Continental Automotive

I don't know how the car pictures above give any clue there is a phase array radar.

On the other end, it would be strange if Tesla was testing only plain radars, since automotive phase array radars do exist now

Edit : ah, found this Tesla spotted testing prototype with new array of sensors - Electrek

Without a peak under the covers or a part number, it’s nothing more than a guess.

Those packages say phased array to me because of the flat, square shape. That’s exactly the geometry of a typical phased array, to get the phase timing between elements correct for beam steering.

Other types of radar need different antenna shapes - but a different shape could be hiding under that cover, possibly, if the antenna is a lot smaller.

As for the two with relatively near angles, remember that Tesla is after autonomy these days - which means safe operation with a failed sensor.

There are a number of ways they could accomplish that, but sensor redundancy is one of the easiest, and since beam power falls off as you steer it, they might well choose to point them a little apart to optimize performance when both are operational.