Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What insurance company for FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What reason did Liberty provide for not covering the extra cost? Don’t know why they would care what options you spend money on, especially if they can get additional premium from you.

I didn’t notify my insurance company (Amica) when I added FSD to our cars, but I paid a lot less at that time.

Sooooooo stupid … sigh
Not all insurance companies are the same so you just have to shop around.

Another thing that might need to be clarified is whether it would cover accidents while the automation system is active such as Autopilot/FSD/Summon/Automatic Parking...

What reason did Liberty provide for not covering the extra cost?
I would assume because the current market price of FSD on a used car is nowhere near $10K, and the replacement cost in the future is completely unknown.

Why would an insurance company cover your car for replacement cost (which you already have) plus a random $10K, even though buying a used car with FSD won't cost you $10K more? Your insurance company doesn't buy you a new car when it's totaled.

Nvm, I was able to add 10k ‘excess electronic and customized equipment’
Are you sure a software license delivered OTA by the OEM of the car is covered by that? Is a SW license "equipment"?

What are you expecting when you total your car? That they look up the current value of another Tesla with 18,000 miles but no FSD, cut you a check for that amount, and then just throw $10K on top?
The point of customized equipment is to cover stuff you will *never* find on a comparable used car when your car is totaled. Not a feature that is on 15% of all the cars out there for sale. When you have an accident, they will find you another car with FSD for the $800 more it goes for on the secondary market, and tell you you're whole (because you are), and the extra policy doesn't apply.

Are you sure a software license delivered OTA by the OEM of the car is covered by that? Is a SW license "equipment"?

What are you expecting when you total your car? That they look up the current value of another Tesla with 18,000 miles but no FSD, cut you a check for that amount, and then just throw $10K on top?
The point of customized equipment is to cover stuff you will *never* find on a comparable used car when your car is totaled. Not a feature that is on 15% of all the cars out there for sale. When you have an accident, they will find you another car with FSD for the $800 more it goes for on the secondary market, and tell you you're whole (because you are), and the extra policy doesn't apply.
Not sure. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. How should I insure fsd then?

I'm totally confused about how you can have $10K to literally waste on FSD, but you can't take a gamble on losing FSD in an accident.

I absolutely agree with your concern that FSD that's added after you bought the vehicle won't be covered. I don't think insurance companies have worked out how to cover SW add-ons like FSD or acceleration boost.

My suggestion would be to forget about buying FSD for now, and simply subscribe to it when FSD beta is released.

Odds are it won't ever become real FSD, and you're better off subscribing occasionally.

I've never seen an insurance policy that says "we only cover what was on the car at the time title transferred from the selling dealer to the first purchaser".

I mean, how does the insurance company even know if you're the 2nd or 3rd owner? Does insurance not cover the car at all if you can't find the Monroney sticker?

There are clear, expensive aftermarket things like wheels. We're talking about a software license sold by Tesla. Does your insurance company really care if you paid for it on the original invoice or a day later? The car had FSD at the moment of loss, there was no labor to install it, and 15% of Teslas have it.

But yeah, don't pay $10K for lane changes and summon if you don't have $10K to waste.

Last edited:
How much did it cost, and what unique thing did they add to your policy after you added it?
Is this some weird NJ thing due to the no-fault laws?
I’m not sure how much extra the FSD cost. I pay $1500 a year for excellent coverage and they boosted my coverage by $9000 (my cost for FSD) in case the car was totalled. I just had to provide them an invoice for the amount I paid for the car and they considered that the new value of the car.