Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What interior temp is your app reporting today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit confused by such crazy cabin temps. Surely cabin overheat is set at 40 for a reason? I’ve overheat ac switched on and it kicks in over 40. Why aren’t people bothering to use it? For a few % of battery why not use it ?
Cabin overheat protection is not needed to protect the cabin trim and hardware. It was introduced as a safety protection for children or animals left in the vehicle and forgotten about. There were some tragedies in the States with this (not in Teslas) and Tesla realised that it would be a feature that could be added. All cars get very hot inside and hardly any have a similar feature.

I have a thing about the metal back of the screen in the Model 3 which can get too hot to touch if the sun hits it at the right/wrong angle and like to protect the electronic internals by using a windscreen shield or draping a tea towel or similar over the screen… but that’s just my own quirk and certainly not something that Tesla has ever said is required.

I've taken to covering the glass roof with a thin cotton bedsheet (vent windows; carefully position the sheet and push the edges inside the car with plenty of slack; close windows again, which will hold the bedsheet in place). Doesn't seem to do the door frames or glass any harm but has a huge impact on the interior temperatures (no sun burning straight down into the cabin). I haven't yet had cabin overheat protection kick in with the sheet in place.

If nothing else, it's cheaper than the £170-odd Tesla want for a couple of Internal sun shades.

no it isn't, try leaving a dog in a car at 38 degrees and see how long it survives. Interiors especially screens don't like extreme temps and constant high heating and cooling can cause premature failure
Indeed, it isn't there to keep animals or humans safe. But I would say it is there to help protect any possessions you have left in the car, not to protect the car itself otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn it off or it wouldn't auto disable itself.

40 is set to be a bit less than lethal.. you still wouldn't be very healthy though.

Leaving children in a car and them dying is sadly not unheard of*. This mode predates things like dog and camp mode by some time.. only running for 12 hours and requiring the intrusion alarm switched off are signs of its original purpose -
The car itself? They're rated to something like 100 degrees...

It's true that people use it as a thing to keep the car cool, indeed that's pretty much acknowledged by the plans to allow you to give it a set temperature (albeit to a limited range from 32C), but it's unnecessary -every car you've ever owned has baked in the sun and you didn't care about it because it wasn't giving you realtime notification of the temperature.

* Tenth child this year dies in hot car, outpacing last year's numbers

no it isn't, try leaving a dog in a car at 38 degrees and see how long it survives. Interiors especially screens don't like extreme temps and constant high heating and cooling can cause premature failure
Tesla says what it is (whether it meets your expectations of a suitable temperature limit is another issue. It's not intended for planned instances where you can set other modes.):

Reactions: Rooster6655
Yesterday my car reached 62°C, but by putting the aircon on “Lo” I got it down to 12°C. Pretty impressive!

For the last few days, though, I’ve been unable to wake the car using the app to turn climate control on. I get an error message saying “Vehicle Server Error 540”. If I’m at work that means I often have to walk down several flights of stairs then the full length of a hospital so I can open a door. Frustrating.

However if you was parked in such a way where the sun shines across your whole car in the day, surely if you were to activate cabin control (and not drive the day) it would have wasted % unnecessarily

There isnt a function to wind fully down (or half way) the windows (other than vent) on the mobile app

I took action on Saturday when I spotted the internal temp around 55 deg. Cabin overheat is set and reactivated each morning by opening a door. Seems to be modulating around the high 30s which you'd expect. Hit on battery seems very minor.

I also have a very glamorous tea towel over the display :)

None of that may be necessary but it's simple and doesn't cost much to do.

I use Cabin Overheat Protection so that pre-conditioning before departure can be quicker on demand and with far less noise disturbance local to the car.

Hard to be certain if leaving recirculate on before exiting car helps speed pre-conditioning too, or whether it is just enabled as needed.

I use Cabin Overheat Protection so that pre-conditioning before departure can be quicker on demand and with far less noise disturbance local to the car.

Hard to be certain if leaving recirculate on before exiting car helps speed pre-conditioning too, or whether it is just enabled as needed.
I've been finding that it takes less than 5 minutes to bring the car down to a very comfortable temperature even without having used overheat protection.

Can you just reactivate in the app? Maybe you have to turn it off/on?
Didn't work for me. Opening the door appears to work consistently. I was away a couple of weeks ago with the car parked up and I had to manually intervene with the A/C via the app on a couple of hot days. I couldn't get the cabin overheat to reset via the app.