Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What interior temp is your app reporting today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be on board with Cabin Overheat Protection being nothing to do with keeping stuff inside from failing, if it weren't for the fact that Tesla has form for exactly that sort of thing happening. On earlier S/X the screens would delaminate or the glue around the edges would fail from high temperatures, leading to the yellow border you sometimes see on ones for sale.

I note also @pdk42 's comment about someone on the FB group (which I also saw) experiencing their steering wheel bubbling after their interior hit 72C in yesterdays heat.

I would also concur that 40C is far too hot for anything living actually left in the car, which makes me wonder why the setpoint is so high. On the flip side, the fact it only works for 12 hours after the car was last "driven" does suggest it's for comfort rather than protection.

Perhaps its just another feature that is badly communicated and badly implemented?

At the end of the day, in my experience it uses ~1% HV battery to actually keep the car at ~40C, per day. Mine was active for 4 and a half hours yesterday and the car lost 1%. I can live with that from an energy consumption point of view, if it does anything to preserve the interior materials.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I'd be on board with Cabin Overheat Protection being nothing to do with keeping stuff inside from failing, if it weren't for the fact that Tesla has form for exactly that sort of thing happening. On earlier S/X the screens would delaminate or the glue around the edges would fail from high temperatures, leading to the yellow border you sometimes see on ones for sale.

I note also @pdk42 's comment about someone on the FB group (which I also saw) experiencing their steering wheel bubbling after their interior hit 72C in yesterdays heat.

I would also concur that 40C is far too hot for anything living actually left in the car, which makes me wonder why the setpoint is so high. On the flip side, the fact it only works for 12 hours after the car was last "driven" does suggest it's for comfort rather than protection.

Perhaps its just another feature that is badly communicated and badly implemented?

At the end of the day, in my experience it uses ~1% HV battery to actually keep the car at ~40C, per day. Mine was active for 4 and a half hours yesterday and the car lost 1%. I can live with that from an energy consumption point of view, if it does anything to preserve the interior materials.
Weird, my Dec 2021 LR lost almost 10% with overheat (with AC) on!

Reactions: Kenners
Did anyone's app report an external temp over 32 degrees? Despite my boilers outside temp sensor showing up to 38c in the shade today, the car sat out in the sun on a paved drive claimed it was always 32 degrees until it started to cool off.

Did anyone's app report an external temp over 32 degrees? Despite my boilers outside temp sensor showing up to 38c in the shade today, the car sat out in the sun on a paved drive claimed it was always 32 degrees until it started to cool off.
Yes, 38 yesterday and 40 today. Seems a be 1 degree over reality, probably heat coming off the driveway.

Reactions: M1tch
My brother sent me a weird video clip that he took of an M3 parked up charging in the sun yesterday. Car all locked up, no-one around, but the windscreen washers appeared to be spraying the car. Not a feature I'm aware of! Sentience maybe?

Hit an internal temp of 67c yesterday. Figured it it was there for cabin/interior protection, it wouldn't have a 12h timeout.

Car took about 15-20 mins to precondition, during which it sounded like a jet engine, and used about 2% of battery

My brother sent me a weird video clip that he took of an M3 parked up charging in the sun yesterday. Car all locked up, no-one around, but the windscreen washers appeared to be spraying the car. Not a feature I'm aware of! Sentience maybe?

wouldnt sprinkles of water on a 40c hot glass just make it more hotter (inside)?
Also I thought the water comes from the wipers when in motion only?

I would guess probably some kind of pressure buildup in the washer reservoir due to the extreme heat.