Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What inverters work with the 16 volt Tesla low voltage power socket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla owners manual says that after Nov 2021, "power inverters plugged into the low voltage power socket must support 16 V DC to function."

Who has found a manufacturer of a good inverter for use in our newer Teslas?

The unit I had bought a few years ago & used in my Model 3 does not work in my Model Y.

I have searched a lot of units on Amazon, and even gotten a couple of manufacturers to answer the question directly and say their units will not work with this higher (16 volt) input voltage. For the others, it just way off the spec.

Right above that in the manual it says - The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak).

Which could be confusing.
The current draw specification is not really confusing. Or at least, I can try to explain it.

Simply means that devices you plug into the low-voltage power socket can freely draw 12 Amps continuously, but is okay if they briefly max out at 16 amps. That current rating is not directly related to the voltage rating that was the subject of my first post.

I'm still looking to figure out what good quality power inverter can deal with the 16 volts voltage spec that Tesla is asking for on Model Y's built after Nov 2021?

I tried a few from Amazon, Wallyworld, and big box hardware....none of the 120 AC outlets worked, only the USB's.
Finally found one at Harbor Freight that works. It's only a 120w, but better than nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Finally found at least one company that is spec'ing their inverter to work at the Tesla 16 volts DC input voltage.

Found these two inverters by BixPower in a post from July by @MindBlend in another TMC forum post:
Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars

They are more expensive (than that ones that are not spec'd to work at the higher voltage).
  • $50 for the 155W model, modified sine wave, that supports 10V ~ 17V input
  • $170 for the 300W model (800W surge), true sine wave, 10V ~ 17V input
MindBlend, is yours still working?
Anyone else tried one of the BixPower models?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: David99
Finally found at least one company that is spec'ing their inverter to work at the Tesla 16 volts DC input voltage.

Found these two inverters by BixPower in a post from July by @MindBlend in another TMC forum post:
Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars

They are more expensive (than that ones that are not spec'd to work at the higher voltage).
  • $50 for the 155W model, modified sine wave, that supports 10V ~ 17V input
  • $170 for the 300W model (800W surge), true sine wave, 10V ~ 17V input
MindBlend, is yours still working?
Anyone else tried one of the BixPower models?
I've honestly only used the 155W version to power a laptop for like an hour total. Haven't had much of a need lately.

Reactions: A2be
I went ahead and purchased the same Bix power inverter, that supports 10 to 17 volt DC input, as MindBlend did. It is the 155 watt, modified sine wave power inverter, Model AM155.

I'll update with some results after I use it for a few days.

Here is MindBlend's post on it (from July).

Attachments

• BixInverter-17voltINPUT.jpg
    BixInverter-17voltINPUT.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 585
Right above that in the manual it says - The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak).

Which could be confusing.

16V x 12A is 192W. It's the wattage that matters in most cases, that is, how much total power a device needs. Of course, an inverter is maybe 70 or 80% efficient,
so AC output will be less, maybe 135 to 154W at 120VAC

• Informative
Reactions: davewill