Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is 12v battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the warning four weeks ago, then two weeks ago it went away. I asked Tesla service via the app to check the logs and tell me if it really needed doing. They said it was very close to the warning level, so best do it. I got it done today by mobile tech and it cost £197 fitted. Great service.
This was the first time the battery had been changed and the car is a S 2015 D, so it lasted 5 years and 70,000 miles. Fair enough - no worse than the Prius!

Part number was : Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR(1083774-00-B). There was a software update required.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
I’m going to do the 12v myself.
I can’t figure out how to disconnect the HV connector....ant tip?

You don't need to disconnect, or work with the HV wiring.

There is a Tesla work instruction on line some where. Note that you have to remove adapters from the batt posts. If you are using the preferred replacement, DCS 33 UNCR, no programming is needed.

To be extra safe you could connect a 12v source to the leads to avoid disconnecting power to the 12v system.

Make sure you follow the torque specs, 33 lb- inches IIRC.

Reactions: henderrj
I’m going to do the 12v myself.
I can’t figure out how to disconnect the HV connector....ant tip?

Wind down front windows, open frunk, remove cover, power down MCU, leave driver's door ajar, disconnect fireman's loop with flat screwdriver by inserting at one end of the connector(this will drop out the HV contactors), then depending on your model year, you may have to remove other stuff to access your 12V battery.

I had to remove the frunk cover on passenger side, then HVAC inlet duct and filter on my 2015 S85 RWD to get access to 12V battery. There are youtube videos showing how to do it.

Reactions: davidc18
>>I had to remove the frunk cover on passenger side, then HVAC inlet duct and filter on my 2015 S85 RWD to get access to 12V battery. There are youtube videos showing how to do it.<<

Thinking about it, the videos I've seen are all LH drive cars: did you find it was different? I have seen one post that said the RH drive battery is more tricky.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
Thinking about it, the videos I've seen are all LH drive cars: did you find it was different? I have seen one post that said the RH drive battery is more tricky.
RHD cars at least up to my year "S" seem to be mirror image to the LHD cars as far the dash & whats on the other side of the firewall, the AWD cars you may have remove the frunk tub.
I didn't find it too hard getting the battery, 2nd/3rd time I had it out, I recently changed it, getting 12V battery needs replacing messages & updates failing.

Last edited:
Wind down front windows, open frunk, remove cover, power down MCU, leave driver's door ajar, disconnect fireman's loop with flat screwdriver by inserting at one end of the connector(this will drop out the HV contactors), then depending on your model year, you may have to remove other stuff to access your 12V battery.

I had to remove the frunk cover on passenger side, then HVAC inlet duct and filter on my 2015 S85 RWD to get access to 12V battery. There are youtube videos showing how to do it.

I could not figure out how to disconnect fireman loop...the connector look tricky.

Why even replace it? Just remove the fireman loop unhook the 12v battery and load test it. If it load tests good put it back in as its simply a programed death based on cycles. They can't say *sugar* about warranties when the original serial numbers matching battery is still there. Disconnecting the 12v restarts the battery obsolesces cycle count.

When these batteries start to go you can usually tell by the main traction battery contactors firing slower when you put your foot on the brake for initial startup.

At the factory, a surprisingly high (double digit) number of these batteries fail the cars initial voltage self testing and got replaced. MRB has pallets stacked almost to the ceilings awaiting vendor credits or RMAs.
Just started getting change battery warning on my 2015 P90D. Should I load test a 6-yr old battery or just replace?

I am seeing different dimensions for AGM 12V battery replacements.. I'l like to know what dimensions of AGM ( only ) batteries people are using for their late Model S.
and... Does the battery fit nicely, or, is one dimension too much and could be reduced a little