Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a BSM Fault? What is going bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
OVMS has paid for itself...

I was wondering why I was in storage mode BUT the charge fell to 83%. Roadster was plugged in using 14 gauge extension cord and 110 Volt Roadster charger with GSM delete.

It is raining and about 60 degrees

OVMS was not allowing me to turn on charge or swap charging modes.

So I went to car and it said BSM Fault, BSM BEFORE CHARGING Fault, and another BSM fault.

I tried reset by opening and closing door 10 times and still would not charge.

I placed key in ignition and put car in drive and it gave me a "keep foot on brake" error. I removed key and re-inserted and car went into drive and then I was able to charge without fault with 110 Volt hook-up.

Now I am currently charging.

I went into the service screen and bricks are OK and charges are OK.

So, what happened and what is potentially going bad?

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
Reactions: markwj
I was wondering why I was in storage mode BUT the charge fell to 83%. Roadster was plugged in using 14 gauge extension cord and 110 Volt Roadster charger with GSM delete.
Setting aside the topic of BSM fault for a moment, I was wondering about the above part of your post. I assume when you said "GSM delete" you were talking about having replaced the GFCI plug with a normal one and therefore that power should have been reaching the car. Are you saying that you had set the car to charge in storage mode and is your question why did it not change when the charge level was 83%? What I have observed with storage mode on my car is that it won't charge until the level gets below 50%.

Setting aside the topic of BSM fault for a moment, I was wondering about the above part of your post. I assume when you said "GSM delete" you were talking about having replaced the GFCI plug with a normal one and therefore that power should have been reaching the car. Are you saying that you had set the car to charge in storage mode and is your question why did it not change when the charge level was 83%? What I have observed with storage mode on my car is that it won't charge until the level gets below 50%.

I had my vehicle plugged in in Storage Mode with a Henry Sharp Can and a Tesla wall connector. I witnessed it come on at one point, nonetheless, it still was draining the battery and not in charge-keeping mode. Not sure why that was. When I checked it, I was down to 15 miles and it was well above that when I plugged it in several days prior and put it in storage mode. So like @TOBASH, I had my battery drained while in storage mode too.

The easiest way and possibly the most expensive is go to the SC and they have an emulator, it won't say exactly what but they go through the components that trigger that alert. Usually the heater or 400v converter. If its the converter then @jason.tv has an excellent answer to replacement. Basically a HV component is shorting somewhere, mine was the HVAC, there is a drain at the bottom of the condenser that had become blocked and the element was sitting under 2 inches of water. Although was not the actual problem. Does both your heat and AC work? also my SC said they would lend me the emulator to charge the car if it faults again and fails to charge. I would ask to make sure the local SC has one.
Powertrain Error 287

• Informative
Reactions: TOBASH
The easiest way and possibly the most expensive is go to the SC and they have an emulator, it won't say exactly what but they go through the components that trigger that alert. Usually the heater or 400v converter. If its the converter then @jason.tv has an excellent answer to replacement. Basically a HV component is shorting somewhere, mine was the HVAC, there is a drain at the bottom of the condenser that had become blocked and the element was sitting under 2 inches of water. Although was not the actual problem. Does both your heat and AC work? also my SC said they would lend me the emulator to charge the car if it faults again and fails to charge. I would ask to make sure the local SC has one.
Powertrain Error 287

he has me confused with someone else I think; I don't know anything about a bsm or hvac fix. Sorry

My only excuse is lack of oxygen due to these damn masks. Jason is correct, I totally misremembered, its EV Mark on the facebook page that has the details on the upgraded 400V controller. Jason has the ultra clean one with carbon fiber goodies.

• Funny
Reactions: RobsJester
Battery Safety Monitor is a popular fault, it's usually damp in the cabin heater causing great fear in the high voltage system monitors. If you can, wheel it out into the sun to warm through or, if you can, turn on the blower fan or heater and chances are it'll clear. If not, come back the following day and try again. If it still persists, then it might be a deeper issue like a blocked drain but, I think we've all had this at least once or twice, well, those that don't live in California anyway.

It sounds like the 400V controller is dead. Look under the front Bonnet/hood and see if the red light is on on the controller. If its out, its dead. I wouldn't recommend buying another Eberspacher controller as the quality is garbage and they fail regularly. You can contact me on facebook messenger (EVMark) for the details of the company that supplies a much better quality board swap upgraded version. The new one is far superior to the Eberspacher and doesn't prevent the car from charging or starting in the event of a failure. Its a major reliability upgrade for the roadster. Its also cheaper than the Eberspacher so its a win win. Tesla can't help with this, its not available to them (they will sell you another Eberspacher). Its literally a 5 minute novice install, 3 bolts, its at the top and easy to remove. You send it off and the board is replaced with a new upgrade version, then its sent back for you to refit in 5 minutes. Job done. Note... Im not affiliated with the company, im not the company and i am not selling it myself. I found them and sent my own controller to them for replacement and its been an excellent find.

On Facebook Messenger im EVMark

Last edited:
or you can try this to get your car charging or started. I haven't tried it myself but let me know how you get on. As always, try at your own risk.
Lark20200111-140558.jpeg