TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What Is a Cooled Seat?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Skotty, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Since some of you seem to be familiar with them, what exactly is a cooled seat? I've never in my life seen such a thing. A heated seat is easy; like putting a heating blanket in the seat. But air conditioning usually requires a complicated heat exchange system which usually involves fluids and compressors and such. Surely they don't have that kind of ridiculousness built into a seat?

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Typically they use cold air ducted from the A/C system, though I believe a couple models have thermoelectric coolers built in directly, and a lot just use cabin air without cooling (more properly called ventilated seats than cooled in that case, though some folks confuse them.) A set of fans built in to the seat blows the air through the seat surface onto your back and rear, preventing sweating.

Fairly common in upper end luxury cars, I've only had them once on a rental Cadillac. Very much on my short list for features for my next car, so glad to see them showing up on the X. :)
    Walter

4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

The leather is perforated with a bunch of small holes that allows the a/c to flow from underneath up through the seat and through the seat backs. I had them previously in my Lexus and keeps your legs from getting sweaty if you're wearing shorts on a hot day.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My previous Cadillac had them. One thing that was nice is if I remotely started the car, and the cabin temperature was above a certain point, it would turn the seat coolers on in addition to the air conditioning (similar thing with seat heaters in the winter). That was appreciated, especially with the black interior I had!

6. taurusking

taurusking Member

My wife's car has cooled seats on them and I love it ....:smile:

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Just more info; The Signature Model S Cars had Vented Seats, or at least, the Venting ON the seats. Tesla never installed the hardware to do so, and once the Signature run was over, switched to non-perforated seats.

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

My last two Lexus's had them ...they are fantastic...we did ask Tesla to consider putting this option on the list for the Model S a few years back...

9. tomanik

tomanik Member

Not sure that is correct.

10. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Correct, that is not correct, at least for our Sig S. The seats are solid leather, no perforations.

11. ethune

ethune Member

I've had both Porsche and Mercedes ventilated seats. Neither worked well nor worth the money.

12. adamsmithpr

adamsmithpr New Member

i just love the cool seat. They are helpful in hot days.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Some of the Sigs did have perforated leather seats, but I guess not all. Not ventilated though.

- - - Updated - - -

The ones in my Cadillac were amazingly good.

14. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I had ventilated seats on my Mercedes and thought they worked fine -- certainly better than nothing. Maybe it's just the high heat here that makes the benefits more pronounced.

My loaner yesterday was black leather -- I don't know how you folks in Texas can stand it! It was so much hotter than my Tan.

15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I have them in my 2003 Ford Expedition (1st year avail) and they work outstanding. I even had an electrical problem with the normal A/C once but in this vehicles case they A/C'd seats still worked (clearly not tied in).

16. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Performance seats were not perforated. Only the standard leather seats were perforated initially.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. I was wondering if it was on the special edition white interior that you could get in the Sig.