Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a good lateral G reading for stock M3P ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I broke the racing cherry of my Model 3 P yesterday at a hillclimb event, and when using track mode the car registered a peak lateral G reading of 1.6 G. This seems pretty high for a stock vehicle using stock Michelin Pilot 4 S tyres. Is the G meter of the Model 3 in track mode accurate ? If so, I assume road camber must play a role in this ?

For the record, the car was quick. I got in the top 6 cars on the day on a road I'd never been on before after only 4 attempts, within 1 sec (2%) of the times lodged by modified 4WD track cars including R35 GTR and Mitsubisho EVO 6 rally cars with slicks... My guess is the Model 3 P flatters its drivers somewhat...

Attachments

• one point sixG.jpg
    one point sixG.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: Clivew
I've autocrossed many different cars with a BMW M3 generating the highest Gs with good autocross tires and never got over about 1.2 Gs if I remember correctly. I would be surprised if the Michelin Pilot street tires could handle much more than 1 G before letting go.

Thanks. I thought it seemed high.

It's easy to test this. If you turn the wheel really hard over for example before you break traction you will see Peak G loadings way above what the vehicle can sustain. Those Peak G loadings are what you can sometimes get in response to a steering transient but where you then back off on the lateral acceleration so the car does not break traction. Also being on really fresh asphalt helps a lot. That's probably worth at least 0.2 G's compared to more slippery surfaces like concrete.