TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is a good mount for smartphone/GPS?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gpchamp, Jul 12, 2015.

1. gpchamp

gpchamp Member

My MS doesn't have the Tech Package, so I don't have turn by turn navigation. It's ok, since I always use my phone or portable Garmin Nuvi. What do you guys suggest for a good mount that's NOT window suction? In my other car, I use a Mountek CD slot mount. But obviously, that won't work in the MS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Many folks like Proclip:

Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts - ProClip USA

3. frosken

frosken Member

I use Brodit. Feels extremely sturdy. aa978bf0d93e0e670a9be070905fbfc9.jpg

4. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Are there any that mount on the shelf (under the touchscreen), don't block a vent or the 17", and aren't blocked by the steering wheel?

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Brodit (Norway) = ProClip (US)

I have a similar vent mounted ProClip (as above), without the built in cable (i just use the apple cable)

7. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

8. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

If you do one of the ProClip mounts for the Model S, I believe they roughly fit those criteria...according to the Web site it looks like they mount in front of the lower right edge of the 17" display. Note that this puts your phone's display pretty far from your eyes, and low in your field of view. If you happen to be (ahem) "grown-up" enough to need bifocals or progressive lenses, this could be an issue.

No experience with these in a Model S (I use one of the suction cup thingeys), but I put a ProClip mount on my wife's BMW 3 series and we were pretty satisfied with the concept and the quality of the product...only real downside in my eyes was that it's a little expensive ($80-ish IIRC).

9. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I am going to be difficult to please I guess! :p

I already figure I am going to trade up to the iPhone 6 Plus, because of the grown-up eyes I'm using.
    Out of the field of vision is not good because Waze. And Uber. (Until these critters can be integrated into touchscreen real estate)
    I like to have a case on my glassy droppable handheld devices.
    I don't want a power cord to be vining across Console Canyon but the USB ports are on the armrest end, best phone locations are at the Dash end of the canyon.

What strikes me as funny: The pics of vent-mounted phones seem to be taken from the middle of the back seat, not the driver's point of view. It looks like a phone here at the upper left of the touchscreen would mean leaning Right to get around the steering wheel...

Been looking at these contraptions for a few months now at phone stores and Fry's etc. Starting to expand to camera shops and hardware places.

10. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

I have been using an Arkon mount combined with a TomTom base for over a year with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and it works well. Here are couple of pictures:

IMG_20150714_133356401_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150714_133432774.jpg

And here is one more from driver's point of view:

IMG_20150714_133508756_HDR.jpg