Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a good mount for smartphone/GPS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS doesn't have the Tech Package, so I don't have turn by turn navigation. It's ok, since I always use my phone or portable Garmin Nuvi. What do you guys suggest for a good mount that's NOT window suction? In my other car, I use a Mountek CD slot mount. But obviously, that won't work in the MS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

My MS doesn't have the Tech Package, so I don't have turn by turn navigation. It's ok, since I always use my phone or portable Garmin Nuvi. What do you guys suggest for a good mount that's NOT window suction? In my other car, I use a Mountek CD slot mount. But obviously, that won't work in the MS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Many folks like Proclip:

Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts - ProClip USA

I use Brodit. Feels extremely sturdy.
aa978bf0d93e0e670a9be070905fbfc9.jpg

Are there any that mount on the shelf (under the touchscreen), don't block a vent or the 17", and aren't blocked by the steering wheel?

If you do one of the ProClip mounts for the Model S, I believe they roughly fit those criteria...according to the Web site it looks like they mount in front of the lower right edge of the 17" display. Note that this puts your phone's display pretty far from your eyes, and low in your field of view. If you happen to be (ahem) "grown-up" enough to need bifocals or progressive lenses, this could be an issue.

No experience with these in a Model S (I use one of the suction cup thingeys), but I put a ProClip mount on my wife's BMW 3 series and we were pretty satisfied with the concept and the quality of the product...only real downside in my eyes was that it's a little expensive ($80-ish IIRC).

... they mount in front of the lower right edge of the 17" display. Note that this puts your phone's display pretty far from your eyes, and low in your field of view. If you happen to be (ahem) "grown-up" enough to need bifocals or progressive lenses, this could be an issue.
I am going to be difficult to please I guess! :p

I already figure I am going to trade up to the iPhone 6 Plus, because of the grown-up eyes I'm using.
Out of the field of vision is not good because Waze. And Uber. (Until these critters can be integrated into touchscreen real estate)
I like to have a case on my glassy droppable handheld devices.
I don't want a power cord to be vining across Console Canyon but the USB ports are on the armrest end, best phone locations are at the Dash end of the canyon.

What strikes me as funny: The pics of vent-mounted phones seem to be taken from the middle of the back seat, not the driver's point of view. It looks like a phone here at the upper left of the touchscreen would mean leaning Right to get around the steering wheel...

Been looking at these contraptions for a few months now at phone stores and Fry's etc. Starting to expand to camera shops and hardware places.