TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is a J3068 charger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by PatD, Apr 22, 2015.

1. PatD

PatD Member

So I stopped at the Newark, DE I-95 rest stop because I wanted to test out the supercharger (No longer an SC virgin - that was amazing!)

Anyway, I met up with a friend with a BMW i3. Talk about being relegated to no man's land. The generic charges are in the middle of the truck area. Sucks to be them!

So while I was hanging out with him, we noticed a new charging spot that hadn't been hooked up yet. Just the sign and pedestal were there. See below. Never heard of a J3068 and I'm not finding anything on Google. Anyone? Anyone? The parking spot said EV charging 3 phase.

2015-04-21 18.23.54.jpg

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#2 FlasherZ, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    It's a 3-phase coupler for AC charging. 277V * 80A per phase * 3 ph = 66 kW, and it appears to be the same as the EU IEC 62196 connector (based on the sign). The standard is still a work-in-process, so I think this is likely to be a prototype.

Presumably, they'd design it so an EU Tesla could plug into this connector and could charge at 22 kW (since the chargers are only 32A per phase in Model S).

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

The plug depicted on the sign looks like a Mennekes Type 2 plug which I thought was only used in Europe.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

J3068 (WIP) Electric Vehicle Power Transfer System Using a Three-phase Capable Coupler - SAE International

SAE J3068 | www.openchargealliance.org.nl

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

My guess is that this is for electric buses, or other fleet vehicles. Interesting that there is interest in this - at that power level, wouldn't some DC charging standard be better?

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

#6 RiverBrick, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    That was my guess too. I have to upload photos of a plug i saw for a plug-in hybrid ferry. The manufacturer hasn't responded to my replies for technical specs, I guess they figure I'm not in the market for a ship.

7. FlasherZ

Yes, it's why you probably won't find anything appear beyond 80A on AC. It's a big waste to have a bunch of big chargers distributed in every single vehicle; put the chargers at the charging points.

I have a slightly different guess. I suspect this is the way to shoehorn the IEC 62196 standard into the US, in an effort to try and create a global standard based on Mennekes (which is a better connector design than J1772 but is still rather horrible from a customer experience perspective). But maybe I'm just a bit cynical today. :)

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

9. FlasherZ

#9 FlasherZ, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

I'm conflicted on whether we really need that in the US, given the availability of high-current L-L split-phase and lack of three phase infrastructure in many/most places.

But having a standard is good, I suppose. I just wish it was more elegant and user friendly. I'm a big fan of the Tesla02 design, it's just elegant and hard to screw up. Even my 6-year-old could plug the car in when he was 5. I know he can't do that with CHAdeMO or J1772 (because of the round connector w key - remember old DIN plugs, "spin 'till you get it in"), and I think he'd have a problem lining everything up on a Mennekes to get it to fit right. It's better for orientation because it's not symmetrically-round, but it requires that you insert it into the connector while keeping it straight - no rotation, no vertical or horizontal angles. The rounded edges of Tesla's receptacle combined with the shape allows the connector to orient as you're pushing it in.

It's one of those things that Tesla doesn't trumpet, but it's an elegant design that should be called out, like the work apple did with Lightning and what USB3c is doing.