TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is a "normal" charging rate for a Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by slcuervo, Dec 8, 2014.

1. slcuervo

slcuervo Member

I usually see charging rates of 450-550 km/h (280-340 mph) at Superchargers in Europe.

However, while charging this weekend during a trip to a ski resort, I noticed the Supercharger at Elverum (Norway) was very slow:

IMAG2796.jpg

As you can see, it was only 180 kph (110 mph), and it stayed so the whole time. I was the only car using the Supercharger, and there were 8 stalls.

Is this "normal"?

What would be the "normal" charging rate of a Supercharger?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The miles per hour or kilometers per hour numbers are averages over the length of the charge session, and thus hard to work with.

The picture you showed is at a point where the battery has a lot of charge in it; the Superchargers slow down as more charge is in the battery top avoid battery damage - you actually only see the highest charging rates in the bottom twenty or thirty percent of the battery, and by the time it reaches 90 percent it is no faster than AC charging from a standard plug.

Your session numbers indicate that session started with the battery more than half full, so you won't see the faster charging rates, and most likely your experience is normal.
    Walter

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

"Normal" depends on a whole raft of conditions. You will get much less if you are sharing a charger with another charging vehicle. You will get much less if your battery is cold on arrival. You will get much more if your battery is closer to total depletion.

4. slcuervo

slcuervo Member

OK, I see your point, and I think you guys are right. Now that I think of it, each time I started charging on an almost empty battery I've had higher charging rates...

Thanks for your replies.

5. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

I collected a ton of data on a cross country trip and did an analysis here: supercharge data from cross-country road trip

Note that these were all pretty much on un-shared chargers and in moderate weather, so while they're very accurate for normal conditions they (obviously) don't take into account the variations mentioned above...