Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a "panic event"? [in sentry mode]

Seth2020

Mar 25, 2020
Seattle, WA
SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS
Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.​

What is a "panic event". Manual makes no mention of it.
Is any Sentry Mode event a panic event, or only certain types?

chrstna4

Sep 3, 2020
Seattle
I was guessing it might be a sudden braking event. Or maybe it’s for people that don’t have a USB device always in the car (or it got dislodged) so people can access something they wanted to record with a honk or hitting the dashcam button. Just guessing, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki

RedModel3

Feb 19, 2016
United States
I was guessing it might be a sudden braking event. Or maybe it’s for people that don’t have a USB device always in the car (or it got dislodged) so people can access something they wanted to record with a honk or hitting the dashcam button. Just guessing, though.

Sentry, the security system, is not to be confused with the dashcam. Braking and record with honk are dashcam functions.

robinj27

Sep 1, 2019
California
Except if the person who breaks the glass takes storage device with them.
That's probably the biggest reason for this change.
Another reason was failure to copy to hard drive in the event of a crash. Lots of cases where after a crash the drive either got damaged and didn't save the most recent event. But yeah also the drive removal after a break in (not many reported cases of that unless the theif knew of it).

• Disagree

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
The most obvious answer is "alarm goes off"

Sentry has 3 modes (well, 4 if you count "off" as a mode)

1. On. Sentry is just waiting for something to happen, not doing anything active at all.

2. Alert- Sentry flashes the lights, displays the you are being recorded bit, and moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage to the sentry saved folder.

3. Alarm- Car alarm goes off, sentry blares classical music, sends an alert to your phone, etc.

katbc

Jul 11, 2020
British Columbia
Except if the person who breaks the glass takes storage device with them.
That's probably the biggest reason for this change.
I think the new 2021 model 3's come with hard drives now that are in the glovebox and there's a pin to the glove box (they are meant to be incredibly hard to break into), so that's cool.

• Informative
Reactions: Seth2020

katbc

Jul 11, 2020
British Columbia
SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS
Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.​

I was under the impression that a significant sentry event (perhaps now called panic event) is one that is enough to set the alarm off. So basically what @Knightshade said.

Reactions: Seth2020

Marius A

Apr 2, 2019
NORWAY
I think the new 2021 model 3's come with hard drives now that are in the glovebox and there's a pin to the glove box (they are meant to be incredibly hard to break into), so that's cool.
It's not hard to break into the glovebox, it can be pried open with a screwdriver.
But AFAIK a burglar will most likely break the glass and grab anything visible. It's too risky spending time prying open things and trying to dive into the trunk.

Reactions: katbc

bcpm3p

Dec 2, 2019
cali
SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS

How do you view this?

And where is the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen. ? I dont see it?

Optics

Mar 24, 2018
Southern Califonia
I saw this in my Sentry videos list (see pics). My daughter set off the alarm on the car. The video can be saved to USB, but not deleted.

Onboard_small.jpg
Save_small.jpg
Dialog_small.jpg

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Another reason was failure to copy to hard drive in the event of a crash. Lots of cases where after a crash the drive either got damaged and didn't save the most recent event. But yeah also the drive removal after a break in (not many reported cases of that unless the theif knew of it).

Once again, the dashcam and sentry are two separate things.

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida

My 2021 LR AWD came with a Tesla flash drive in the glove box. It's 64GB.

Mike

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC