Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a "panic event"? [in sentry mode]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS
Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.​

What is a "panic event". Manual makes no mention of it.
Is any Sentry Mode event a panic event, or only certain types?

I was guessing it might be a sudden braking event. Or maybe it’s for people that don’t have a USB device always in the car (or it got dislodged) so people can access something they wanted to record with a honk or hitting the dashcam button. Just guessing, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I was guessing it might be a sudden braking event. Or maybe it’s for people that don’t have a USB device always in the car (or it got dislodged) so people can access something they wanted to record with a honk or hitting the dashcam button. Just guessing, though.

Sentry, the security system, is not to be confused with the dashcam. Braking and record with honk are dashcam functions.

Except if the person who breaks the glass takes storage device with them.
That's probably the biggest reason for this change.
Another reason was failure to copy to hard drive in the event of a crash. Lots of cases where after a crash the drive either got damaged and didn't save the most recent event. But yeah also the drive removal after a break in (not many reported cases of that unless the theif knew of it).

• Disagree
The most obvious answer is "alarm goes off"

Sentry has 3 modes (well, 4 if you count "off" as a mode)

1. On. Sentry is just waiting for something to happen, not doing anything active at all.

2. Alert- Sentry flashes the lights, displays the you are being recorded bit, and moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage to the sentry saved folder.

3. Alarm- Car alarm goes off, sentry blares classical music, sends an alert to your phone, etc.

SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS
Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.​

I was under the impression that a significant sentry event (perhaps now called panic event) is one that is enough to set the alarm off. So basically what @Knightshade said.

Reactions: Seth2020
I think the new 2021 model 3's come with hard drives now that are in the glovebox and there's a pin to the glove box (they are meant to be incredibly hard to break into), so that's cool.
It's not hard to break into the glovebox, it can be pried open with a screwdriver.
But AFAIK a burglar will most likely break the glass and grab anything visible. It's too risky spending time prying open things and trying to dive into the trunk.

Reactions: katbc
SENTRY MODE IMPROVEMENTS

How do you view this?

And where is the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen. ? I dont see it?

I saw this in my Sentry videos list (see pics). My daughter set off the alarm on the car. The video can be saved to USB, but not deleted.

Onboard_small.jpg
Save_small.jpg
Dialog_small.jpg