Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable ‘idle’ charge loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after a successful night sleeping I woke it up in the telsa app to check the range was ok (it was) and now its gone back to 1 minute sleeps
I've read a lot of threads on this sort of thing :)Things to try:

1 Reboot the car - can't remember if you've done this - 2 buttons and brake pedal.
2 Go into the app and then come out again. Sometimes this forces a sleep.
3 Force close the app
4 Reset your password - only takes a couple of minutes although I think you need to re-add your phone as a key.
5 Reinstall the Tesla app

These are all things that others have reported to fix their car not sleeping properly. Did you tell us what software version you had?

I've read a lot of threads on this sort of thing :)Things to try:

1 Reboot the car - can't remember if you've done this - 2 buttons and brake pedal.
2 Go into the app and then come out again. Sometimes this forces a sleep.
3 Force close the app
4 Reset your password - only takes a couple of minutes although I think you need to re-add your phone as a key.
5 Reinstall the Tesla app

These are all things that others have reported to fix their car not sleeping properly. Did you tell us what software version you had?

done everything except (5). I did a few things together when it did slee - updated Teslafi to wait longer, went for a drive, and turned off WiFi and cabin overheat protection

Excuse the big picture. You can see how it has changed...

20210406-Bob.PNG

Don;t forget the number on the app is available battery. When it gets cold some of the battery isn't available. I charged last night to 80% and when I went to drive this morning the app *said* 76% but when I looked closer there was a little blue bar (showing charge which would be available when the batttery warmed up) which went up to the 80% mark.

Reactions: Adopado
Don;t forget the number on the app is available battery. When it gets cold some of the battery isn't available. I charged last night to 80% and when I went to drive this morning the app *said* 76% but when I looked closer there was a little blue bar (showing charge which would be available when the batttery warmed up) which went up to the 80% mark.

Correct. I was 3% down this afternoon since charging was completed in the early hours ... entirely down to cold temperature temporarily reducing availability. Since those percentage points come back when you start driving and the battery warms up I'm not really sure why Tesla has chosen to display these "losses" as it's just a recipe for confusion and anxiety.

Do you keep the app running? If so with BT enabled, most likely you will remain connected to your car. I force close the app (im running android) to avoid extra battery use as it remains connected to the car outside. Only if I park up the street I can leave it running on the phone knowing it cant connect.

If you're using iphone id say restart your phone once you've parked up and dont open the app, and check the next day to see if you have the same problem. WIth android you can force close the app. I assume when the phone is connected via BT the car will no go to sleep to ensure its responsive when you go to unlock it.

To clarify, with Android anyway, if you go back to your home screen/lunch another app, the app still runs in the background to serve as a car key. The app most likely posting to Teslas apis to refresh auth tokens to allow you to just open the car. In turn the car polls Tesla apis periodically to pull instructions to wake, software update info etc. I think when the app is posting to them to say the phone im running on has bt enabled and it is connected to the car, instruct the car to stay in standby state.

Actually without restarting the phone to ensure the app is killed in the background, you could also test by turning bt off. With the app dead, I would get about 1% drop overnight (except freezing winter of course)

Last edited:
My phone stays Bluetooth connected throughout the house, it has never stopped my car sleeping and since the last update the car doesn't even loose 1% a day. Even before that update, it was 1-2% a day maximum. I never force close the app. The car can sleep even with a Bluetooth connection.

Reactions: Alistairuk
I’m force closing the app, although I’m pretty sure I could still open the car when I did that before. Just went out to the car this evening to remove the USB drive (which was also having issues with not enabling dashcam) and it didn’t unlock until I unlocked my phone (didnt need to launch the tesla app) which is the first time its not immediately unlocked. Still had the widget showing ‘parked’ not ‘sleeping’ though.

I’ll turn off bluetooth to see if that helps but I want the phone to unlock the car so this is only for debugging

edit: before I could do that I checked the widget which reports it sleeping. So maybe the USB thumbdrive in the glovebox doing something weird? Or just unlocking/locking the car?

My phone stays Bluetooth connected throughout the house, it has never stopped my car sleeping and since the last update the car doesn't even loose 1% a day. Even before that update, it was 1-2% a day maximum. I never force close the app. The car can sleep even with a Bluetooth connection.

Yep. Last year I had my bike turbo trainer pretty close to the front of the car in plain sight and the car never woke/failed to sleep even though I knew the bluetooth connection on my iPhone was active. I often had to reset bluetooth on the iPhone due to running out of connections and could see the one to the car as connected. It was the same when walking inches from the car going to and from the turbo trainer. Unless cabin overheat protection was active, the car just slept soundly even for extended periods of time whilst the turbo trainer was in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
I’ll turn off bluetooth to see if that helps but I want the phone to unlock the car so this is only for debugging

edit: before I could do that I checked the widget which reports it sleeping. So maybe the USB thumbdrive in the glovebox doing something weird? Or just unlocking/locking the car?
As above, you shouldn't need to turn off bluetooth in normal use.
I've read of Dashcams and the like causing the car to stay awake. so maybe a faulty usb drive could be causing an issue, but not sure how.
What widget are you using?

I guess if the usb drive can't unmount properly it might hold the car awake, although I would hope they had some timeout. Worth a try.

Regarding Bluetooth, I use a Pixel phone and somehow I can leave the phone near a window and still walk outside and unlock. Further inside the house it doesn't unlock, but it holds onto a connection everywhere. During the school run, I park the car and walk around the corner and it still holds connection. I've seen a connection at almost 100m line of sight. Never has it kept the car awake.