Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable ‘idle’ charge loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess if the usb drive can't unmount properly it might hold the car awake, although I would hope they had some timeout. Worth a try.

Regarding Bluetooth, I use a Pixel phone and somehow I can leave the phone near a window and still walk outside and unlock. Further inside the house it doesn't unlock, but it holds onto a connection everywhere. During the school run, I park the car and walk around the corner and it still holds connection. I've seen a connection at almost 100m line of sight. Never has it kept the car awake.
I had my phone 2m away from my car when I was washing it last week and couldn't open the doors. Welcome to the vagaries of Tesla :)

I'm sure the issue arises because the 12v battery dips a few millivolts and calls for the HV battery to charge it up. The software should IMO allow a reasonable dip before making everything fire up for a couple of minutes.

As above, you shouldn't need to turn off bluetooth in normal use.
I've read of Dashcams and the like causing the car to stay awake. so maybe a faulty usb drive could be causing an issue, but not sure how.
What widget are you using?

just the old tesla one which was mentioned to be passive. This morning it still says sleeping but it also says last updated at 21:06 last night. If I press the refresh button I guess it might wake the car. I’ll try and leave it 24 hours and then refresh, and reconnect teslafi to see what it sees.

... but they started the journey by noticing drain and decided to investigate by using apps which might be now keeping the car awake - a bit like Schroedingers electrons lol.
The cat is dead :)

That may have been the case before the Steaming API came along, but nowadays both apps behave very well with their default settings. I did prove this in the linked thread.

just the old tesla one which was mentioned to be passive. This morning it still says sleeping but it also says last updated at 21:06 last night. If I press the refresh button I guess it might wake the car. I’ll try and leave it 24 hours and then refresh, and reconnect teslafi to see what it sees.
You won't get any updates while the car is sleeping (a good thing). I'm not familiar with that Widget. Where did it come from? Ideally you want to have a few variables as possible e.g. only use teslafi or something else. But sounds like the USB may have been the culprit.

You won't get any updates while the car is sleeping (a good thing). I'm not familiar with that Widget. Where did it come from? Ideally you want to have a few variables as possible e.g. only use teslafi or something else. But sounds like the USB may have been the culprit.
It’s part of the Tesla app. If you edit the widgets on iOS it’s not part of the new ones, you have to scroll to the bottom and click customise and it should appear in a list

It’s part of the Tesla app. If you edit the widgets on iOS it’s not part of the new ones, you have to scroll to the bottom and click customise and it should appear in a list

I've not found any benefit of the iOS widget. It's only active when the car is awake and it doesn't update in the background so it's battery level reading is usually out of date. If I go to the widget and it's greyed out I then have to go to the app anyway and wait for the car to wake up. Am I missing something?

Reactions: init6
I've not found any benefit of the iOS widget. It's only active when the car is awake and it doesn't update in the background so it's battery level reading is usually out of date. If I go to the widget and it's greyed out I then have to go to the app anyway and wait for the car to wake up. Am I missing something?
Does allow you to see if the cars asleep without opening the Tesla app which then wakes the car up... (you need to not force close the app and enable background app refresh for Tesla for the widget to update in the background).

Can also quickly unlock the car and boot from the widget screen rather than flicking to the app - but really down to what you prefer :)

Reactions: init6
Does allow you to see if the cars asleep without opening the Tesla app which then wakes the car up... (you need to not force close the app and enable background app refresh for Tesla for the widget to update in the background).

Yes, good point ... it does allow you to see if the car is awake if worried about triggering an unnecessary wake up ... I'm not presently concerned about unnecessary wakefulness but if I was it could be useful. I wish it could do something useful like unlocking the charge cable as I presently use the app which requires a couple more clicks. The car itself already unlocks without any manual widget or app opening.

Yes, good point ... it does allow you to see if the car is awake if worried about triggering an unnecessary wake up ... I'm not presently concerned about unnecessary wakefulness but if I was it could be useful. I wish it could do something useful like unlocking the charge cable as I presently use the app which requires a couple more clicks. The car itself already unlocks without any manual widget or app opening.

Yes I’m only using it to monitor my cars insomnia. Agree a way to unlock the charge port would be really nice on a widget

Excuse the big picture. You can see how it has changed...

View attachment 651311

Well after a little bit of messing around it looks like my car has learnt how to sleep again. I did try a hard reset of the car, but that didn't change anything. What did work was changing my Tesla account password. So, logged out of the app on my phone, rebooted the phone - just in case. I had previously deleted my TeslaFi account as I use TeslaMate (running on a Synology NAS!). Anyhow, restarted the Tesla App on my phone and logged back in. Then back to the TeslaMate screen, entered new login details - watched TeslaMate begin to log the car being ASLEEP!!

Note sure what it was in the end, but changing my Tesla account details worked a treat for me.

Oh, and I should say I then went for a quick drive, came home and the car fell asleep within 40 minutes.

Note sure what it was in the end, but changing my Tesla account details worked a treat for me.

Oh, and I should say I then went for a quick drive, came home and the car fell asleep within 40 minutes.

Mine too. Weird
I'm more and more convinced this bad behaviour is at the Tesla end. Almost like the cars aren't 'disconnecting' from the central servers properly.