Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable in the world of disagree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
Kind of strange. Thought I helped people with this forum. This is the type of behaviour that makes me not want to come here any longer.

Sorry @Garlan Garner your car got hit, but going around putting disagree on everyone's posts is not acceptable. Especially ones that are answering questions to concerns or helping out. This is why we come here. I don't come here to just put junk up to make posts. Come here to get help, and provide it.

Ar you just mad you can't drive or just mad?

Then to threaten via PM. Nice. Enjoy the day. I am done here. Good work @Garlan Garner you made someone stop sharing.

Moderators? Is this acceptable?

Screenshot_20190617-074725_Chrome (1).jpg
20190617_074429.jpg

Yes, Disagree (especially without anything to add) is the idiot button.

It is the bizarre social media simulation we live in currently. Snowflakes everywhere who get upset at the slightest issue that does not conform to their worldview and have to run to mommy for their participation trophy.

Miss the old days (around the time the first browser came out, yes ~30 years ago) when posers were scarce and discourse was much more cordial.

People who "disagree" without putting forward their reasoning for it are not worth addressing. Personally I tend to avoid using the "disagree" button in most cases as it tends to wind people up. But I'm sure some people use it for this very purpose alone!
Agreed. Besides, if I disagree with someone I want them to know exactly what I disagree with, so it's better to just reply with your counter-opinion.
That way they can respond to your objection, and either set you right or realize exactly what the disagreement was based on.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Peteski
Kind of strange. Thought I helped people with this forum. This is the type of behaviour that makes me not want to come here any longer.

Sorry @Garlan Garner your car got hit, but going around putting disagree on everyone's posts is not acceptable. Especially ones that are answering questions to concerns or helping out. This is why we come here. I don't come here to just put junk up to make posts. Come here to get help, and provide it.

Ar you just mad you can't drive or just mad?

Then to threaten via PM. Nice. Enjoy the day. I am done here. Good work @Garlan Garner you made someone stop sharing.

Moderators? Is this acceptable?

My favorite behavior of his is to say something, then edit or remove his own posts and claim he didn't say it. Maybe he's fast... I'm faster.

I've had a twitfilter since the days of FidoNET. He's earned a place.

But the best forum software feature I've ever seen is at the AppleInsider forums. They have a "send to Coventry" feature that - rather than ban a user - lets them post all they want, but others can't see what they write. They have no idea that everything they're replying to and messaging and writing is all in vain, as they're just echoing into the abyss. They're the proverbial tree in the forest that nobody can hear.

My, how I'd love to see that here ...

But the best forum software feature I've ever seen is at the AppleInsider forums. They have a "send to Coventry" feature that - rather than ban a user - lets them post all they want, but others can't see what they write. They have no idea that everything they're replying to and messaging and writing is all in vain, as they're just echoing into the abyss. They're the proverbial tree in the forest that nobody can hear.

That is AWESOME!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Posted about a good sleeping mat
Carrying a canoe
A/C smell
AP behavior
Charging

Wow all good stuff people like to read. Yes some can spoil it, but I will heed the advice and let that person enjoy the feelings they have when they press the disagree button.

My mom always told me some people behave a certain way to make themselves feel better. In this case I have to agree.

I think the current policy is a sit down, and having the moderators approve your post for a couple weeks. Crappy thing for a Mod to have to do as a volunteer.

Apparently "we can do this all day" doesn't rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors.

They have a "send to Coventry" feature that - rather than ban a user - lets them post all they want, but others can't see what they write. They have no idea that everything they're replying to and messaging and writing is all in vain, as they're just echoing into the abyss. They're the proverbial tree in the forest that nobody can hear.
I believe the term is "shadow ban".

I recommend the wise use of the "ignore" feature here. I use it not for those I disagree with, but for those who present no value in what they post. Guess who was the first on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dr. J
I believe the term is "shadow ban".

I recommend the wise use of the "ignore" feature here. I use it not for those I disagree with, but for those who present no value in what they post. Guess who was the first on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's the term now ... they've been calling it Coventry for a decade at least at AI. I can tell you how I know... but then I'd fear Coventry myself ;-)

It is unfortunate that the modern trend is to be instant and not deliberative. The "disagree" button is instant. To put into words takes more time and more effort to explain why one is in disagreement or why one believes that the contrary view is wrong, or perhaps, not best.

I guess I have used the disagree button maybe twice in all the years that it has been available.

My feeling is that if I have something constructive to add, or if I feel that the person is using emotion or assumption rather than logic and facts, I will try to point out my disagreement (I hope) tactfully and respectfully with a post.

If the position taken is too extreme or otherwise unsuitable for discussion, I just leave it alone.

Wonder how many disagrees I will receive for this! :eek:

Reminds me of my time spent at RAF Mildenhall many years ago. A British friend explained it to me:

To send someone to Coventry is an English idiom meaning to deliberately ostracise someone. Typically, this is done by not talking to them, avoiding their company, and acting as if they no longer exist. Victims are treated as though they are completely invisible and inaudible. Wikipedia

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-17_19-22-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-17_19-22-20.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 33
  • upload_2019-6-17_19-22-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-17_19-22-26.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 28
@outdoors I have greatly enjoyed your posts on your experiences with your Model 3 over the past couple of years, and I am sure many others have as well.

I recommend making liberal use of the ignore function (my Ignore list is over 250 (mostly trolls)), reporting any personal attacks like the ones you describe, and staying with us.

Don't let the trolls win.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors and P85_DA
Status
Not open for further replies.