Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable in the world of disagree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that's the term now ... they've been calling it Coventry for a decade at least at AI. I can tell you how I know... but then I'd fear Coventry myself ;-)

VBulletin’s global ignore function is named Tachy Goes to Coventry in the administrator control panel. It’s been around for a long time and is useful for those members who refuse to constructively contribute to the community.

Tachy Goes to Coventry? - vBulletin Community Forum

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I have never hit the Disagree button because it is so open to misinterpretation. If I disagree with something I respond and explain why.

And then there are situations like this where one person just wants to disagree with everything. When someone disagrees with me I can see why they disagreed, but sometimes I'm just left wondering what they meant.

Reactions: MXWing and P85_DA
Then to threaten via PM. Nice. Enjoy the day. I am done here. Good work @Garlan Garner you made someone stop sharing.

Moderators? Is this acceptable?

definitely an issue but unfortunately not the worst I've seen in that regard

vSmgqsQ.png

and that was just one day (barely over 24 hours worth), not counting the PM harassment and prior weeks of disagree retaliation. I'm not sure if he automated it with scripting or just put that much manual labor in.

All I did was disagree with him saying something could be xx.yy% likely to happen when there were big unknown variables. I thought it was bad math / poor science to suggest that level of accuracy in a prediction. From that day forward he made sure to give me an ever increasing number of disagrees.

Last edited:
Why exactly was he banned? He was pretty peeved about being rear ended and waiting for parts, but I still was interested in learning about the denouement of this story...despite all the "disagrees" given.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I disagree. Because it's the only option not chosen yet

Never said disagree shouldn't exist was just questioning the acceptable use in this case. Just going in on multiple posts from another member one after another in less than a minute and giving them all disagrees is kind of childish. One didn't read they just wanted some type of I will show you. We don't do that here. Or not supposed to. Sending the PM asking if I wanted some more was probably the tipping point.

Thanks for the disagree much appreciated.:D:D:D At least you took the time to write the reasoning.

Never said disagree shouldn't exist was just questioning the acceptable use in this case. Just going in on multiple posts from another member one after another in less than a minute and giving them all disagrees is kind of childish. One didn't read they just wanted some type of I will show you. We don't do that here. Or not supposed to. Sending the PM asking if I wanted some more was probably the tipping point.

Thanks for the disagree much appreciated.:D:D:D At least you took the time to write the reasoning.

LOL agreed.... Looked like someone stole his crayons.

• Love
Why exactly was he banned? He was pretty peeved about being rear ended and waiting for parts, but I still was interested in learning about the denouement of this story...despite all the "disagrees" given.

There was quite a bit of harassment behind the scenes... I'll be respectful of everyone involved, but it wasn't very nice.

There was quite a bit of harassment behind the scenes... I'll be respectful of everyone involved, but it wasn't very nice.

Thank you. He had also gone on disagree tirades against me in the past, too. (Ironically over a software update discussion in which I was presenting facts with supporting data and he was expressing misinformed opinions... Repeatedly.)

Also ironic is that the folks who seem to engage in that immature behavior also tend to be ones that hide their profile info (Garlan was one, @Troy is another). If you're gonna toss out disagrees everywhere, at least let folks check out your own rating history...

Troy provides a valuable service to the community, so folks tend to let his slide.

Back to the question at hand: what's acceptable in the world of disagrees? I use the disagree option sparingly, generally reserving it for short posts with which I.. disagree strongly with the entire premise of the post. I also generally respond with reasoning as to why I disagree. Seems only fair.

As for how sparingly... A quick check of my history shows I give out more than 30 positive ratings for each disagree. That seems about right to me--if I found myself handing out disagrees much more heavily than that, I'd ask myself why I'm participating in a community that I find so disagreeable. Perhaps that's why our resident disagreers tend to hide their voting history.

Last edited:
AH, I have a simple idea.

Limit the number of disagrees one can apply, per day or week or something. Like maybe 5 per day max.

How often, does a good contributing member really use disagree? Not that often.

It should be easy to query folks that are abusing the disagree button.

Or make it proportionally limited as a function of likes.

I think this is why so many sites get rid of the disagree (thumbs down) button.

I've made posts I even regret, (misinformation) and I keep getting hammered with disagrees (which I agree with), but the stupid site won't let me correct it !!!
I believe sites that delete the “disagree” function cater to the mind set that “Everyone gets a trophy” and if you’re offended, there is a safe space for you to avoid the discomfort. Being able to disagree causes some, not all, to re-examine their thoughts and provide follow-up. It’s healthy in the learning process. Adults don’t allow a criticism to derail their life.

I believe sites that delete the “disagree” function cater to the mind set that “Everyone gets a trophy” and if you’re offended, there is a safe space for you to avoid the discomfort. Being able to disagree causes some, not all, to re-examine their thoughts and provide follow-up. It’s healthy in the learning process. Adults don’t allow a criticism to derail their life.

No, they just don't get as many likes.

I think getting rid of it, avoids issues like this.

I think people take pride in having good a reputation and boat load of inappropriate disagrees from some whacko shouldn't just be dismissed. If you say just ignore it, then why have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.