Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is acceptable in the world of disagree?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy provides a valuable service to the community, so folks tend to let his slide.

I don't find fairy tales and false religions a valuable service to the community, nor do I find dictators a beneficial factor.

If you mean the tracking of reservations and graphing he wasn't the only one doing that. He just did everything in his power to create followers and denounce alternate providers of similar information.

He'd happily tell person A that their reservation would be filled in 3 months, denounce anyone that disagreed with that prediction and crow about how quick he could readjust his predictions when new information came out a month later that made that prior prediction inaccurate. Any mention of the prior prediction would be considered an attack on his cult and attacked.

If he had value to the community I lost sight of it early on.

Reactions: jsmay311 and P85_DA
Disagrees are often for when people can’t refute your points, want to intimidate you or want to act like a passive aggressive little biatch. Especially when the majority of disagrees come from a few people.

Serial disagrees are already lame enough already.

Following people to disagree with them across threads is just stalkerish and disturbing. I myself try to be far more positive to others than trying to stifle conversations via disagree.

590BFDE1-AB5D-4F90-BDFD-D81213763F6E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
AH, I have a simple idea.

Limit the number of disagrees one can apply, per day or week or something. Like maybe 5 per day max.

How often, does a good contributing member really use disagree? Not that often.

It should be easy to query folks that are abusing the disagree button.

Or make it proportionally limited as a function of likes.

My stats for giving out are

~4,000 informative
~800 like
~650 disagree
~300 helpful
~200 funny
~10 love

That's about 8 positives to every negative, but only if you view disagree as a negative.

Disagree to me is the opposite of informative, not the opposite of like.

If I don't like your post and it's logical or at least furthers conversation I'll either not rate it negatively and continue reading, or rate it positively based on accuracy/validity even if I don't like it, or reply to it without rating it (especially if I'd want to rate it more than one way and they cancel out).

Last edited:
Troy provides a valuable service to the community, so folks tend to let his slide.

I don’t care if he is Elon Musk himself. Issuing 72 serial disagrees has zero justification.

Model 3 tracker is cool but you’d have to be making my Tesla payments and not even then I would give up my principles.

What the hell is wrong with him? @dhanson865 could be literally incorrect on 72 of his posts but I wouldn’t disagree against all of them.

I don’t care if he is Elon Musk himself. Issuing 72 serial disagrees has zero justification.

Model 3 tracker is cool but you’d have to be making my Tesla payments and not even them before I give up my principles.

Oh, agreed. I was more referring to the fact that the community puts up with it more from Troy than Garlan. Whether you and I value Troy's contributions as offsetting his disagree sprees and poor community decorum via hidden profile is beside the point: he puts a ton of effort into his trackers, they get a ton of participation, and the community values them.

That's the facts, Jack. It was an ancillary observation moreso than a furthering of this topic, and for pulling us OT I apologize.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
To be honest, getting caught up in the amount of “likes” and “dislikes” is counterproductive to the issue, at hand. No social website is more notorious than FB on this. Kids were killing them selves over this. Operative word here is “kids”. Take the criticism at face value, digest it, reflect on it and become the better for it. When I played football and my coaches would make me miserable for missing a tackle, in front of the entire team, believe me, I used it to become better. Criticism without merit should be dismissed, by its very nature.

To be honest, getting caught up in the amount of “likes” and “dislikes” is counterproductive to the issue, at hand. No social website is more notorious than FB on this. Kids were killing them selves over this. Operative word here is “kids”. Take the criticism at face value, digest it, reflect on it and become the better for it. When I played football and my coaches would make me miserable for missing a tackle, in front of the entire team, believe me, I used it to become better. Criticism without merit should be dismissed, by its very nature.

Don’t miss that tackle next time. :)

The problem with disagrees is they don’t “add anything”. They frustrate some people and discourages contribution - we dont want that.

Nothing is being debated, nothing profound espoused, no knowledge being gained, no growing to be done.

Likes on the other hand encourage participation.

Personally disagrees don’t bother me, and I’ll issue a few in retaliation or someone is intentionally being an ass. Can do without them for the greater good of the community however.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Don’t miss that tackle next time. :)

The problem with disagrees is they don’t “add anything”. They frustrate some people and discourages contribution - we dont want that.

Nothing is being debated, nothing profound espoused, no knowledge being gained, no growing to be done.

Likes on the other hand encourage participation.

Personally disagrees don’t bother me, and I’ll issue a few in retaliation or someone is intentionally being an ass. Can do without them for the good of the community however.
Can’t have one without the other. Yin and Yang. :)

I also think the downvotes feature should be removed. I have contacted the forum owner @danny, the Head Moderator @doug and Lead Moderator @Doug_G many times to say the same thing. I hope they remove downvotes. Here are 3 good reasons why it should be removed:
  • Some people use the downvotes feature too much
  • The other Tesla forum doesn't have downvotes and works perfectly fine
  • Downvotes do more harm than good for the forum
Here is a chart that shows the number of downvotes I have received and the users I have received them from.

A6TZR5T.png

Many of the pros and cons of the "disagree" button were discussed in the context of its earlier, slightly harsher incarnation as the "dislike" button. Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

I agree with the comments that the "disagree" button should be used very sparingly. But given the extreme level of trolling in all social media around Tesla, having a "disagree" button allows people to note that they disagree with the post (or it is factually incorrect) without side-tracking the thread, which is usually the intent of trolling.

If trolling were less pervasive, the disagree button might not be necessary.

Many of the pros and cons of the "disagree" button were discussed in the context of its earlier, slightly harsher incarnation as the "dislike" button. Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

I agree with the comments that the "disagree" button should be used very sparingly. But given the extreme level of trolling in all social media around Tesla, having a "disagree" button allows people to note that they disagree with the post (or it is factually incorrect) without side-tracking the thread, which is usually the intent of trolling.

If trolling were less pervasive, the disagree button might not be necessary.
No disrespect meant but, why care? Who cares if someone disagrees? Life’s not perfect. No one is, on both sides but, to give so much credence to this issue seems....shallow. I don’t even know how to look at my “stats” and, honestly, do not care. If thinking “disagrees” will cause discord in the site, hurt feelings, dissuade others from coming here or effect your “stats”, I’m sorry. You insult those that know better than to allow nonsense to rule their thinking.

I’m done. Sorry to “disagree” with some of you. Happy motoring! (If you feel the need to disagree with this post or not, it really makes no difference to me. I WON’T take it personally) Obviously, we “agree” to “disagree”! ;)

Last edited:
No disrespect meant but, why care? Who cares if someone disagrees? Life’s not perfect. No one is, on both sides but, to give so much credence to this issue seems....shallow. I don’t even know how to look at my “stats” and, honestly, do not care. If thinking “disagrees” will cause discord in the site, hurt feelings, dissuade others from coming here or effect your “stats”, I’m sorry. You insult those that know better than to allow nonsense to rule their thinking.

I’m done. Sorry to “disagree” with some of you. Happy motoring! (If you feel the need to disagree with this post or not, it really makes no difference to me. I WON’T take it personally) Obviously, we “agree” to “disagree”! ;)

You make a good point. I have no idea why a small subset of people seem to get so bent out of shape when someone disagrees with them.

Here are 3 good reasons why it should be removed:
  • Some people use the downvotes feature too much
  • The other Tesla forum doesn't have downvotes and works perfectly fine
  • Downvotes do more harm than good for the forum

That's pretty rich, coming from one of the serial disagree abusers. :).

Here is a chart that shows the number of downvotes I have received and the users I have received them from.

Since we're discussing forum decorum regarding post voting... Did you manually compile that data? What is your rationale for preventing members from viewing your profile data for themselves? Do you view it as a positive contribution to the forum to spam several public disagrees in short succession without discussing your reasoning publicly in the relevant threads? If so, why?

Last edited:
You make a good point. I have no idea why a small subset of people seem to get so bent out of shape when someone disagrees with them.
The incessant, spiteful use of negative intended irrationality is indeed troubling. YET, to remove the negative response, entirely, is tantamount to stifling free thought. Can you say “1984”?! THAT worries me more than, dealing with some angry, vindictive individual.

Reactions: MitchMitch
I've personally (best of my recollection) have only used the disagree button one time (or, in one thread anyway) - that was for someone trying to teach others how to 'hack the AP nags' - something to which I am vehemently opposed. However, I also immediately posted as to why I disagreed, and why I believe it is a very bad idea.

I personally have no problem when someone disagrees with something I've said. It makes me go back and review to see if I may have worded something that caused misinterpretation. If I find nothing... I just shrug my shoulders and move on. No harm, no foul.

Although I know all the answers in the universe (o_O), I also know others may not agree. If everyone agreed with everyone else... the world would be a boring place :D However, I certainly do agree that excessive use of the disagree button is just childish.

Maybe add a feature in which someone hits 'disagree', but then is forced to post a "why" to the disagree. It won't stop the children... but it may slow them down a bit ;)

• Love
Reactions: Dr. J and groovidad
I've personally (best of my recollection) have only used the disagree button one time (or, in one thread anyway) - that was for someone trying to teach others how to 'hack the AP nags' - something to which I am vehemently opposed. However, I also immediately posted as to why I disagreed, and why I believe it is a very bad idea.

I personally have no problem when someone disagrees with something I've said. It makes me go back and review to see if I may have worded something that caused misinterpretation. If I find nothing... I just shrug my shoulders and move on. No harm, no foul.

Although I know all the answers in the universe (o_O), I also know others may not agree. If everyone agreed with everyone else... the world would be a boring place :D However, I certainly do agree that excessive use of the disagree button is just childish.

Maybe add a feature in which someone hits 'disagree', but then is forced to post a "why" to the disagree. It won't stop the children... but it may slow them down a bit ;)
I TOTALLY “agree” with your solution!!! I had a Colonel once tell me “IF you’re going to bring me a problem, you better offer solutions!” We’ll done, brother!

• Love
Reactions: Brian's ReX

The problem is that just an upvote or downvote can be an ambiguous message. When I get a Disagree, about half the time I'm confused what it means. One time I can recall off the top of my head, I was quoting someone else in my response, I didn't add any of my own thoughts. I got a Disagree which left me wondering if they were disagreeing with the person I was quoting, didn't notice I was quoting someone else, or didn't like that I had repeated that bit of information on the forum.

I also have seen some people here who can be rough around the edges, but their content is at least worth some consideration. People differ in communication and social skills. I've been around a number of people in the real world who were on the autism spectrum (what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome). Because they tend to obsess about things that interest them, some can be annoying going on about things others have little interest in, but others can dig up insights in piles of data the rest of us don't take the time to examine.

Some people for one reason or another didn't learn good social skills growing up, though they are capable of learning. These people can be annoying sometimes too. I was once very much in that category.

I try to look for the message and cut the messenger some slack unless they get very toxic. Though there are people on just about every forum I've been on who annoy me too.

Reactions: Dr. J
The problem is that just an upvote or downvote can be an ambiguous message.

Yes, indeed! If I write, "The Earth is flat," why are you disagreeing with me? It is likely because I am 100% wrong. In this instance, the disagree button works as intended (in my opinion.)

But if I write, "I am frustrated with Tesla service. I cannot reach the service department directly. Instead, I have to wait on hold for 30 minutes and then relate my story to the agent who then places me on hold for another 10 minutes before suggesting that I bring my car into a service center 170 miles away when there is one 110 miles away. And they call this service?"

What does a disagree mean? Don't be frustrated? Interminable delays are OK for a growing company like Tesla? Be grateful that they arranged a service appointment for you? The fact that I italicized the word service?

Then sometimes we slide into the morass with hot-button topics like politics, gun control, and other passionate contemporary topics. Disagrees are especially problematic when we plunge into these depths.

Maybe another description like "Scratching my head," or "You can't be serious" with the appropriate emoji might remove some ambiguity and inject a little levity into the discussion.

Reactions: outdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.