Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is actual distance for Model3 Standard+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery from 90% to 34%, it is only run 105km. If really run down to 15%, I don't think it should not near 200km.
It is normally? In my style, around 177~200 W/km.

Ranges tested and advertised by Tesla are NEDC cycle, full charge, 100% full to empty. That is the Rated or Ideal range.

Your actual achievable range will vary. If you are mid-levels, for example, or have a lot of city traffic on your journeys, you won't achieve rated/ideal range.

I live in Sai Kung, and commute to/from Kwai Chung - a mixture of countryside and highway driving, and I try to avoid traffic; I achieve almost exactly rated/ideal range.

30% less in colder temps

According to our observatory, we only had 1 day of winter this year (thanks, climate change), Temperature now are around 20 celcius, so I don't think this is the issue here.

Ranges tested and advertised by Tesla are NEDC cycle, full charge, 100% full to empty. That is the Rated or Ideal range.

Your actual achievable range will vary. If you are mid-levels, for example, or have a lot of city traffic on your journeys, you won't achieve rated/ideal range.

I live in Sai Kung, and commute to/from Kwai Chung - a mixture of countryside and highway driving, and I try to avoid traffic; I achieve almost exactly rated/ideal range.

Thanks. But I don't trust the top right 90% (335km), because it is really the idea case......
I trust the Energy page, that is real calculation based on my personal driving style. Very useful.
I have around 200-210W/km, combine traffic jam and highway is 50/50. Standard Range+ , 90% only can run 180~200km.

A SR+ 54kWh, with an NEDC tested range of 402km, is 54000/402 = 134Wh/km.
If they only used 90% of the battery for NEDC testing, perhaps 120Wh/km.

So, yes, your usage of 200-210Wh/km is significantly more than NEDC and would result in the range restriction you are seeing.

interesting. My commute is about 50 km(mix of driving about half 80km/h and other half 120km/hr) and i can get 99-10% range of about 260km averaging 125km/hr. Idk why your consumption is so high. because your usage is so much higher, thats the reason you're not seeing anywhere close to the rated range. Do you accelerate fast? heater always on? The highest i've ever gone on a single charge,99-7% was about 210 miles, about 330km, and mostly high speed driving with some traffic.

interesting. My commute is about 50 km(mix of driving about half 80km/h and other half 120km/hr) and i can get 99-10% range of about 260km averaging 125km/hr. Idk why your consumption is so high. because your usage is so much higher, thats the reason you're not seeing anywhere close to the rated range. Do you accelerate fast? heater always on? The highest i've ever gone on a single charge,99-7% was about 210 miles, about 330km, and mostly high speed driving with some traffic.

Because I am base in City. If city and highway is 50/50, it is 150W/km.

If you were doing 90% to 34% with a run of 105km and 177~200Wh/km for M3 Standard+, it does sound a bit low, or this implies around 210-220km for 100%.

I've a 90D MS, usually charged to 80% for around 250km actual range at 230-250Wh/km. If I do sub 200Wh/km (on highway run), the 80% charge can provide around 350km actual range (vs. 380km rated range showing in the car).

M3 has a smaller battery pack but should make up in range for being a lighter car.

Don't care Wh or W. We all know that Energy, and also meaningless during the calculation.
Watt-hours are a measure of energy.
Watts are a measure of power.

We've had to educate folks many times on the difference here at other places (e.g. some questions. what charger? what are these holes? - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum and Near Turtle to cells balanced: 20.8 kW with 2015 Leaf with 24 kW battery: Low kW? As expected? Battery losing capacity? - My Nissan Leaf Forum).

An EV has a battery capable of holding a certain # of kWh of energy just like an ICEV has a fuel tank holding x # of liters or gallons of fuel.

Last edited:
Also my home at the top of a small hill doesn’t help...

Btw, are you turning on the Sentry mode?

I found this is another vampire drain killer! Sentry mode sucks up around 20-30km of range per day for my car (when stationary).

I just count normal driving. Sentry mode consumption depend on a number of event. But I have around 1~2% drop per night.

Ok I see.

The drop of around 1-2% per night sounds about right when parked... but your M3' actual driving range compared to the displayed power consumption looks a bit tight. If I'm doing 177~200Wh/km in my MS, I should get roughly 1km of range to 1km of actual driving.

You may want to check tyre pressure and re-set your car's operating system, and monitor it for a couple more weeks on moderate driving style.

For my MS, there has been a couple instances when the actual driving range and the charge level were completely out of syn for some reasons (could be a bug), but the car returned to normal after 1-2 charging cycles.

Ok I see.

The drop of around 1-2% per night sounds about right when parked... but your M3' actual driving range compared to the displayed power consumption looks a bit tight. If I'm doing 177~200Wh/km in my MS, I should get roughly 1km of range to 1km of actual driving.

You may want to check tyre pressure and re-set your car's operating system, and monitor it for a couple more weeks on moderate driving style.

For my MS, there has been a couple instances when the actual driving range and the charge level were completely out of syn for some reasons (could be a bug), but the car returned to normal after 1-2 charging cycles.

I have got this car near 1 month, charged 7 times.
In the calculation, it is around 230km from 90%. But actually only 180km. So disappointed.

I have got this car near 1 month, charged 7 times.
In the calculation, it is around 230km from 90%. But actually only 180km. So disappointed.

The other variable which I can think of is the charging method (SC vs. Tesla Wall Connector vs. 3rd party Medium Charger). For my MS, it does make a little bit of difference in drivable range (when charging to the same 80% charge level) between the 3 charging types.

Tesla Wall Connector and the Med Charger's drivable range are about the same, and generally able to squeeze out an extra 5-10km over the SC at the same 80%. Anyway, hope this helps.

On the other hand, many other Tesla drivers swear by the Range Mode for maxing out the drivable range. But my experience is quite the opposite when turning on the Range Mode, I actually did almost the same range and slightly worst(!) when the Range Mode is on.

PS. I understand the rim / tyre combo also makes a difference, my MS runs on the 21'. Would defer to the other more experienced drivers here to explain this in technical details...

The other variable which I can think of is the charging method (SC vs. Tesla Wall Connector vs. 3rd party Medium Charger). For my MS, it does make a little bit of difference in drivable range (when charging to the same 80% charge level) between the 3 charging types.

Tesla Wall Connector and the Med Charger's drivable range are about the same, and generally able to squeeze out an extra 5-10km over the SC at the same 80%. Anyway, hope this helps.

On the other hand, many other Tesla drivers swear by the Range Mode for maxing out the drivable range. But my experience is quite the opposite when turning on the Range Mode, I actually did almost the same range and slightly worst(!) when the Range Mode is on.

PS. I understand the rim / tyre combo also makes a difference, my MS runs on the 21'. Would defer to the other more experienced drivers here to explain this in technical details...

Not related to Charge. Tesla wall mounted charger is 3 phases 32A, which is same as Medium Charger. Because M3 accept max.16A input to battery (11kWh).

One of data cannot reflect to running range. Sometimes we wash car or making something surround the car. Car is not sleeping, still wake up period.

According to our observatory, we only had 1 day of winter this year (thanks, climate change), Temperature now are around 20 celcius, so I don't think this is the issue here.
I am a newbie... but what is the "rated/ideal range"?