Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is *Actually* Involved in the Upgrade from Insane to Ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aggmeister2010

Dec 26, 2018
SE USA
Hey Folks,

I have a 2016.5 Model S P90D. I saw in the Classifieds section of the forum a while back a vendor offering a 90 kWh battery for sale, along with upgrades to ludicrous for anyone who bought it.

That leads me to ask - now that Tesla no longer offers the upgrade from the factory, what's actually involved, and could I have an Indy shop do it if I provide parts from a wrecked P90DL?

I know there's obviously a software component to the upgrade, but what hardware is involved? Is it the standard 90 kWh battery? Different fuses and wiring harness to the battery?

If you have a 2016.5 P90D, then adding Ludicrous should just be a simple software update. Does your app or Tesla accounting show the option to upgrade?

When I bought my 2016.5 P90DL, it was originally a P90D, that Tesla upgraded to Ludicrous to make it more marketable as little to no cost to them. It was software only. I do not think they are doing this anymore, upgrading used ones I mean.

If you have a 2016.5 P90D, then adding Ludicrous should just be a simple software update. Does your app or Tesla accounting show the option to upgrade?

When I bought my 2016.5 P90DL, it was originally a P90D, that Tesla upgraded to Ludicrous to make it more marketable as little to no cost to them. It was software only. I do not think they are doing this anymore, upgrading used ones I mean.

They aren't doing updates anymore - they stopped doing it before I purchased my car.

I bought mine online from Tesla.com as a P90DL, so they added it before I bought it. I didn't have the Ludicrous "underline" badge under the P90D so when I discussed with my Sales Advisor, he looked it up and said it was originally a leased car, without Ludicrous. He said Tesla added Ludicrous via software as a "perk."

At that time, at least when I was searching, 99% of the P90D's had Ludicrous. If you look now (today), there are 15 P90D's listed for sale and only 3 have Ludicrous.

Same, no Luda on p90d 2016.5. V3 battery too so the hardware is there... Its still feels lfaster than my insane p85d, but hard to find online actual real world comparisons of the p90d facelift non Luda vs. luda. 0-100km/h, qtr mile etc