Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is All-Wheel drive worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at two CPO's, same year, that are almost the same in options. The all-wheel drive does have 19" Silver Cyclone Wheels and the Ultra High Fidelity Sound which the non all-wheel does not.

The all-wheel drive is $7,500 more than the non all-wheel drive, but the all-wheel has about 30,000 miles while the non all-wheel has about 15,000. Considering the higher milage, is the all-wheel drive worth the $7,500 more?

Since you are from Florida the only advantage the AWD will give you is a bit better range.

I might be inclined to go with the RWD if I were you. I get snow where I live and the AWD is nice for getting out of the odd snowy parking spot. Today is a perfect example, it's quite snowy today and everyone is spinning their wheels in the neighbourhood except me.

Reactions: JPUConn
I find the D cars drive in a more controlled fashion, especially when doing launches. I only have a 60D so launches are quite tame as compared to the bigger Tesla beasts but I still noticed a big difference test driving the 75 vs. the 75D. I also live in Chicago so the D was a no brainer upgrade. I think you need to look at your situation and make a decision. If you don't think AWD is worth it, don't get it. The RWD car is both cheaper and has fewer miles on it. It sounds like you want someone here to sell you on a D.

I find the D cars drive in a more controlled fashion, especially when doing launches. I only have a 60D so launches are quite tame as compared to the bigger Tesla beasts but I still noticed a big difference test driving the 75 vs. the 75D. I also live in Chicago so the D was a no brainer upgrade. I think you need to look at your situation and make a decision. If you don't think AWD is worth it, don't get it. The RWD car is both cheaper and has fewer miles on it. It sounds like you want someone here to sell you on a D.
Hum... I sense I'm being psychoanalyzed. Actually, what I was trying to find out wasn't whether I should get the D or not, but rather whether the price difference was reasonable, given the variables.

The AWD D will give you a little more range but probably not enough to be worth considering since software mods added a torque sleep function to the RWD ones which has reduced the differential. However the D is more stable on the road particularlynunder hard acceleration and in poor weather conditions it makes quite a difference - you still have the same brakes to pull the car up mind so it can give a false sense of confidence!

If they're pre-facelift models then the RWD one will also have a bigger frunk which is important to some.

The UHF sound has split opinions - for me personally I think it gives a much better more rounded sound with deeper bass and I'm glad I specified it as an option on my car. It was an expensive one for what you get but I'm happy. Others have said there's little or no difference so it comes down to personal taste I think.

$7,500 is quite a big difference so I'd try and get extended test drives in a RWD and an AWD with the same battery size so you can form an opinion based on your driving style. Personally the AWD and the UHFS are two options I would specify again.

I bought Dual Motor version because there is an option that I may move to colder states.

Besides the slightly better acceleration and range, also the big black "D" badge on the back looks definitely sexier than without it.

Go with the cheap option and put the money saved towards your next car in a few years.

The first Tesla I ever drove was a P85+, which was rear-wheel drive, and I was basically Elon's b*tch since that day.

Have had both 85 (RWD) and 85D. Would definitely not spend money on D if asked again; RWD drive was a bit more fun to drive and already had perfect traction on snow (with winter tires of course), much better than any other RWD car I ever had.

Incidentally, I also had both the standard and the 'ultra' hi-fi. Except if Tesla changed anything to the 'ultra' set up over the last couple of years (I do not think so), I would not go for 'ultra' either (and if you want 2,500 worth of enhancement to the hi-fi, go for an aftermarket solution).

For new cars the all wheel drive cost $5,000 so it is definitely not worth $7,500 more on a used car. My guess is that other options like the stereo are adding to the difference. If those aren't meaningful to you then don't overpay for the dual motors.

Reactions: JPUConn
Unless you are in a snowy climate or care about launching acceleration, I doubt the "D" will be worth the extra. I debated a lot, but the videos from Norway showing how well the RWD version does in snow and ice (based on the traction control), along with reports that the front motor adds some whiny noise, convinced me to take a pass on "D." I have a little regret based on range, but that difference is pretty small, too. My salesman was actually quite strong in recommending against the D version in Seattle, as well as encouraging the 60 model, which reserves the right to upgrade to a 75 AND can be charged every time to 100% without even losing regen.

Hum... I sense I'm being psychoanalyzed. Actually, what I was trying to find out wasn't whether I should get the D or not, but rather whether the price difference was reasonable, given the variables.
I would say the price difference is reasonable. You wouldn't be paying $7500 just to add all-wheel drive. The Cyclones and the UHFS are also adding to the price, as well as the extra mileage subtracting from the price.

BTW, last I checked adding AWD to a new car costs $5000.