TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

what is an "A-pillar foam neoprine upper standoff" ? Listed on recent service invoice

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eye.surgeon, Aug 1, 2015.

1. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

#1 eye.surgeon, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Tesla had my car for a couple days installing the new center console. When I got the invoice it listed 2 "a-pillar upper standoff, foam neoprene" as parts replaced or added, in addition to the center console. Anyone know what these are? Is this some kind of recall they are doing on the a-pillar covers or something?

As an aside, Tesla ranger service is awesome, they picked up and returned my car from Fresno. I was told it would cost $100 but they didn't charge me anything on my invoice as far as I can see. The new center console is great also, I greatly prefer it to the empty space.

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

This is the first time I've seen those parts mentioned as needing to be replaced. Perhaps it was just something that was to be done alongside the center console replacement, as part of the process for that type of work.

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Probably replaced to fix a squeak or rattle, is what I'm thinking.

4. CraZ8

CraZ8 Member

The A pillar is the first structural element holding up your roof between the front windshield and front door. Similarly the B pillar is between the front and rear door. What probably got replaced was the rubber on that little triangle glass window that was not sealing properly and allowing wind noise

5. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

That's what I thought initially, but that repair was listed differently on my service invoice:

Concern: Cold Draft or Wind Noise Coming From Fixed Glass
    Corrections: Install LH And RH Fixed Glass Seals And Foam Strips
    Cold Draft or Wind Noise Coming From Fixed Glass installed seals and tested drove

Parts replaced or added:
    Part Quantity
    FIXED GLASS SEAL LH (1039364-00-A) 1
    FIXED GLASS SEAL RH (1046148-00-A) 1
    SEAL MESH DEFROSTER (1007167-00-B) 1
    HEART FLEX CLIP WITH WASHER - 70 LBS 18
    RETENTION (10225401-00-A)
    Pay Type: Warranty

Does the OP have any additional information on this item?

6. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

My guess is that it is for rattles. I have consistently had a rattle inside the A pillar. Service has fixed it once, and it is back and will be addressed at my next service. I think there is the wires which run up the A pillar which vibrates behind the A pillar covering - just my guess.

7. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I think Craz8 is correct. "Fixed Glass" refers to the little triangle window that doesn't move.

8. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

Yes, "fixed glass" refers to the triangular window, but that was listed on my invoice for actually fixing the triangular window.
    However, my invoice didn't list "A-pillar foam neoprine upper standoff", hence my suggestion that it is NOT related to the triangular window.

A google search brought up a mention of the phrase on a German Tesla Club site:
    TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer Original 2015er Tesla Mittelkonsole (vorn)
    And there is is also used in association with the installation of a middle console.
    I can't verify it, since my Model S came with the middle console installed, therefore I never received an invoice for its installation.
    Maybe other owners who had theirs retrofitted can verify whether the "standoff" is listed on their invoice.

I agree that it seems weird that they had to mess with the A-pillar when installing the middle console.

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

#9 eye.surgeon, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Although a good thought, I don't think they messed with my fixed glass window. I sure hope not, mine are perfect on my Dec 2014 delivery and don't make any noise at all.

I never had any complaints about squeaks or rattles at all, which is why I was surprised to find the A-pillar parts listed on my invoice. And the service adviser didn't mention it.